Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway GT5014 Media Edition won't boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kbmccarthy

kbmccarthy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

I was given Gateway GT5014 Media Edition with issues.
When I start the it shows the Gateway screen with F2 Bios and F10 Boot options in the lower right corner. Then it goes to screen that reads:

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key.
(There are no disks in either drive)

I would like to wipe machine clean and set back to factory settings, but Gateway no longer offers support for this model. They do show a list of drivers needed on their website. I do not need any of the data on the machine and would like to wipe it clean and do a reinstall of XP Pro Media Edition Service Pack 3. The problem is I have no cds. There was a Recovery Partition but I surely can't get to it now and I don't know if it has been corrupted. I believe I have key and cd codes if that helps. I can not afford to buy new windows os and would like to know if there are options to save this computer from the land fill.

I would appreciate any guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

Hi, i think the invalid system disk error is telling you its not detecting you harddrive .it may be dead ,and you would need a new one before being able to reinstall windows
what happens when you hit f10 do you get any options .may be one there to boot to recovery partition .
also hitting f2 will take you to the bios setup ,in there it should show if it detecting you harddrive .
also as long as you have legit winxp key you could borrow a disk of the same version as yours to load windows

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

If F10 takes you to the Advanced startup options try using the Last Known Good Configuration.

You can also go to the website of the manufacturer of your hdd and download and run their diagnostic tool to see what condition your hdd is in.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users