Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Explorer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 muneerjafrani

muneerjafrani

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:44 AM

Hi there

I am running windows xp SP2 Pro on my P4 intel system with 126 MB ram and 1.80 Processor and winme on C drive.
I have problem which are:

1.When i start pc and select winxp,the welcome screen appears then only walpaper shows on desktop.there was no icons and taskbar.I press alt+cnt+del to bring task manager to open explorer by typing explorer.exe in new task,then window start with icons and task bar and it funtion fully there.After by shutdowning the widow the explorer was running.To shut down the window i have to end task the explorer.What is the problem.

2. I have creative soundblaster audigy to on xp sp2 system.When I open EAX Console or Graphic equilizer the system restarts ...why it is happening...

Muneer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:39 AM

Do you also have Norton A/V on this computer?

I have seen buggy startup behavior if a computer has Norton A/V and Sound Blaster installed, some sort of conflict between the two. You must change the starting order of the two programs. I am sorry I do not remember more specific info, it has been a while since I have had to deal with it, but perhaps a google search will help, or someone else here at BC knows more specific info on this issue. It is a known issue and much has been written about it on the internet.

(This is assuming, of course, that you even have Norton A/V)
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

Part of your issues may be a lack of RAM. You should have 256mb although 512 would be ideal. XP is a beast when it comes to RAM. Most system I have installed XP on chew up 80 to 140 mb RAM right out of the box, without any software running. My system uses 230mb and I have 512 mb installed. You should be able to pick up 128mb for less than $20.

Edited by acklan, 09 November 2005 - 11:03 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:24 AM

What acklan said!

You see these large computer manufacturers selling these low end machines with 128 MB RAM, it ought to be a crime!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 10 November 2005 - 07:24 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:31 AM

What acklan said!

You see these large computer manufacturers selling these low end machines with 128 MB RAM, it ought to be a crime!

Especially since RAM is so cheap. I see the name brand computers going with DDR instead of Sdram. These are not high end machines that will not take advantage of the bandwidth. Just stick with SDram where possible. IMHO

#6 muneerjafrani

muneerjafrani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:01 PM

Hi There

Thanks for reply.I dont have Norton A/V installed on Xp niether adaware nor spybot.I think might be this problem is due to lack of ram....any further suggestion warmly welcomed...
Thanks

Muneer

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:29 PM

I would install the following after the ram upgrade..

AVG 7 antivirus Free Edition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users