Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange network problem...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jon is here

Jon is here

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

OK, so here is where it all stands... I've been trying to resolve this problem for a good week now, and have made little progress, so I thought some of you guys might be able to help me out if possible.

Internet speed = 2.75mbps
Ping = 73ms

On this network, are 2 wireless machines, and one wired machine. When accessing Ebay from a wireless node, all is fine and all loads quickly, however, when using the wired node, Ebay is so slow, it is unusable. Strangely the wired node can accesses all other sites fine.

At this point I should probably tell you the wired node is Windows XP using Firefox and IE, and the wireless node is Windows 7 using Firefox and IE.

The wired node is using an on-board LAN connecting to the router using CAT 5e.

To try and resolve the problem, scans have been done, router reset, ran in safe mode with networking, flushed the dns, reset winsokets, and finally reinstalled windows XP. All this failed.

As the wireless nodes can access ebay with no problem, I thought Iíd try and use one of the wireless nodes as a proxy for the wired node, and bizarrely Ebay loaded a little quicker (but still not fast enough to be usable). I have tried setting the dns settings for the windows IPv4 protocol to another dns server, but this didnít help.

Can anyone recommend anything else that might help resolve the problem please?

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2010 - 01:29 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Networking ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jon is here

Jon is here
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

Issue resolved. The onboard LAN is faulty, so a new NIC is on its way!

Solved by plugging in an old USB modem from the ISP - This had no speed issues with connecting to Ebay.

#3 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

Ethernet faster than wireless connection so had to be be something like driver or faulty lan and contained with usb modem.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users