Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought a new PC, need advice about GFX card upgrade

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Craigy

Craigy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi there, long time lurker, so I thought i'd finally register as I had a question.

I just bought a new PC, i thought it was a pretty decent machine, but then I bought a game and it lagged so much I couldn't play it. I did an online check of "can i run it" and it appears my graphics card is the problem!

Here's my machine info:
Biostar MCP6P3 Motherboard
AMD CPU AM3 Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz (11.6GHZ)
500Gb Sata II Hard Drive
2Gb DDR3 (1333Mhz) Memory (Upgradeable to 8Gb)
24 x Dual Layer DVD/RW
512Mb NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Graphics
Quad Core Tower supplied with 450Watt power supply
10/100/1000 Gigabyte Lan
6 Channel HD Sound

Motherboard:
Biostar MCP6P3

EXPANSION SLOT:
2 x PCI Slots
1 x PCI-E x16 Slot

Here's my graphics card:
GeForce6150SE nForce 430

(extra info in case it's needed:
Model Number, Core Frequency: X4 635 / 2.9GHz
L1 Cache Size: 64K of L1 instruction and 64K of L1 data cache per core (512KB total L1 per processor)
L2 Cache Sizes: 512KB of L2 data cache per core (2MB total L2 per processor)
Memory Controller Type: Integrated 128-bit wide memory controller *
Memory Controller Speed: Up to 2.0GHz with Dual Dynamic Power Management
HyperTransport 3.0 Specification: One 16-bit/16-bit link @ up to 4.0GHz full duplex (2.0GHz x2)
Socket AM3 938-pin organic micro pin grid array (micro-PGA)
Process Technology: 45-nanometer DSL SOI (silicon-on-insulator) technology
Approximate Die Size: 169 mm2
Approximate Transistor count: ~300 million
Nominal Voltage: 0.875-1.425V
Max TDP: 95 Watts)

I'm on a tight budget as I just bought the PC, and I've never modified my PC myself before either, but can anyone recommend me a good graphics card for under 50 ideally, that would run decent games? (can be a little more if it's not that possible)

Also how hard is it to install a graphics card myself?

Thank you so much for reading.

Edited by Craigy, 11 September 2010 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

Hi Craigy, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

You gave us almost all the information that we will need to help you, everything but the make and model of this computer. :thumbsup:

It looks like the GeForce6150SE nForce 430 is an integrated graphics chip, not a dedicated card which would be plugged into PCI or PCI-E expansion slot. Without knowing what the make and model of your computer, I won't know what you have in the way of expansion slots, and there for will not be able to advise you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Craigy

Craigy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

sorry, i'm a noob at PC's. I think it is an integrated graphics chip. First post updated with more information.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

You still haven't posted the make and model of this computer. Ex: is it a Dell, HP, Gateway...? If so, what is the model. This information generally will be some place on the exterior of the case if it is a desktop. If it is a laptop, the information could be around the keyboard inside.

If this is a custom build, please post the make and model of the motherboard.

Edit: I see that you have edited your first post to include the motherboard. It will be less confusing if you just make a new post with any added information.

I will see what information I can find on this motherboard and will get back to you.

Edited by dc3, 11 September 2010 - 12:50 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Craigy

Craigy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:48 PM

thanks Dc3. It is a custom build, hopefully everything's there now?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

Ok, this motherboard does indeed have an integrated graphics. You do have one PCI-E x16 in which you could add a dedicated graphics card. One consideration that you should take into account is the size of your PSU and the type of connectors it has. Some graphics cards require direct connections from the PSU. Most all manufacturers will include the system requirements in their online information. This usually will tell you how much wattage you will need for their card. In some cases where the current draw is high they will suggest that you have a +12V rail that will support a specific amount of current draw.

The specifications for your mother board can be found using the link below.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=461

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

Could you please post the make and model of your PSU?

#8 Craigy

Craigy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

thank you for your help, much appreciated!

Do you know (or does anyone else know) of any example graphic cards that would be good?

EDIT: Will check my PSU and reply.

Edited by Craigy, 11 September 2010 - 01:06 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Because the PCI-E x 16 isn't the 2.0 and the limited amount of funds to purchase a card with, your choices are going to be slim.

I did a quick look at Newegg, this online store doesn't deliver to England, but this gave me an idea of what is available with these two factors. I was only able to find one card that meet these two factors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814139035

It has taken a while to get all of the information posted in your first post, but hopefully there is enough there that someone else can help you from here. I have other obligations which will require that I leave at this time. I will look back to see how this is going later this evening.

#10 Craigy

Craigy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

thank you for your reply. so a PCI-E 2.0 card wont fit in to my PCI-E slot? (I thought it would?)

I was looking at something like the GT 240, it's about 70 but i don't mind paying that bit extra if it works well.

Another one I'm thinknig of is the "Asus Radeon HD 4670 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI 1GB" Although it needs a 400w supply.

about my power supply on the back it says "Input 230VAC 50Hz JA" is that the right text?

Edited by Craigy, 13 September 2010 - 01:31 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

No. I was asking for the make and model so that I could look up the specs on it. What it's wattage is, what is the current rating on the 12V rail. These things will determine what graphics card can be supported by the PSU.

#12 Craigy

Craigy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

wattage is 450W.

looking at buying this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Radeon-4670-P...s/dp/B002KJH0ZM

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

The make, and model of the PSU would still be nice to know.
A 450W "cheap" PSU, is not the same as a 450W "quality" PSU.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users