Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not all ram installed in computer showing up.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eboknight

eboknight

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

I have a HP Compaq dc 7600 Convertible mini tower, I upgraded my ram and all goes well until I install the last GB of ram. In the start up menu it shows all four gigs of ram, but when let it finish booting up and check my computers properties it says 2.99 GHz 3.25 GB of Ram. I have four sticks of crucial memory at one gig a piece and all running at 667MHz. I have tried moving the chips around, pulling them all and putting them in one at a time ( with computer of while inserting sticks.

I'm at a loss

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

A 32-bit Windows operating system will not recognize the full 4GB of RAM, it will not be able to utilize the total amount because the address space is only 4GB in size, the draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices use this space as well.

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result in different total memory size. This means that the more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses. Typically a 32-bit operating system will see between 3.3GB and 3.5GB of total RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

Thank you That would be my problem.

Thanks again.

Dave

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

Glad to be able to help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users