Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does this mean my hard drive is broken?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NegaDrain

NegaDrain

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

Recently, my computer has been crashing in very peculiar ways. I've never had a problem with it before, but lately it has been crashing after switching on. Usually I get about 10 to 15 minutes before it crashes but it has become less and less over time to the point where it boots up and then crashes 2 minutes after log in.

My computer specs are:
Dell XPS 420
32 bit windows 7 home premium
Intel core 2 quad
Seagate 500 GB
Sapphire radeon hd 4850
3 GB ram

The way it crashes is weird as well, because it will just stop reponding but you can move the mouse. The buttons glow (aero effect) but don't do anything when you click them. Then the screen turns off showing a couple of lines of different colours and then the computer reboots.
However it goes all black and comes up with a message that it can't find the drive and something about raid 0Posted Image
I then press f5 so it does some tests and it says my hard drive is missing.Posted ImagePosted Image
I know its connected because all I have to do is switch it on and off and it finds it again, but of course it just crashes after a bit again anyways.
Please help!.

Edited by NegaDrain, 11 September 2010 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Here is some trouble shooting procedures for SeaGate hard drives.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...&NewLang=en

You can run a disk utility for sea gate hard drives.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Hope this helps with your hard drive.

If your hard drive passes the test, we may have to look at the motherboard for a possible issue, this may include an intermittant connection between the hard drive and and motherboard.

It could also be a BIOS setting that is incorrectly set in the BIOS setup utility.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:10 AM

I seen your pictures after I made my first reply.

You may have a dead CMOS battery.

When these batteries go dead, all the settings and hardware detections that your motherboards BIOS had originally stored are cleared each time the system is powered off.

I suggest checking the CMOS battery and replace it with a new one.

You will be able to tell if the CMOS battery is the problem because often the time and date are incorrect each time the computer is powered off and back on again.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 NegaDrain

NegaDrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

hey thanks for your reply, i dont think its the CMOS battery because the time and date are always spot on when i load it up, are there any other symptoms of this?
also, when i set my BIOS to factory settings it sets it to Raid on, which causes windows 7 not to boot, however if i change it to autodetect it does boot. Could this have anything to do with it?

lastly, i have a dual boot configuration of 7 and xp (for older games) would this cause problems?

thanks!

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Leave the setting on autodetect that is where this setting should be for your configuration, that is why the computer is booting up successfuly.

Your error is indicating your SATA 0 hard drive is not being detected, this would be the hard drive that is connected to the motherboard at SATA port 0.

Is there by any chance any jumpers on this hard drive?

Is the drive properly getting power from the PSU?

What is the condition of the SATA data cable?

Please recheck those wires, make sure they are plugged all the way into their sockets.

Bruce.

#6 NegaDrain

NegaDrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

i dont know about jumper cable, but it has the power cable and data cable attached, like it was out of the box :thumbsup:. however i have a dual boot of xp, and xp doesnt crash? maybe its something to do with windows 7 perhaps? could my hard drive be too old for it? originally my pc had vista home premium which i upgraded a few months ago,

EDIT: forget that,
it did this just now
Posted Image
and wont let me boot xp again Dx

Edited by NegaDrain, 11 September 2010 - 04:57 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

Please click this Microsoft Knowledgebase artical, check #5 *** STOP: 0x000000C5 (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940015

It appears no matter how many google pages I go through, this stop 0X000000C5 keeps coming up with DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

I suggest you run the following at a command prompt.

SFC /SCANNOW

If you have to use the Windows 7 DVD to boot to, do so, get it to get you to a command prompt and type what I put in bold type above.

Bruce.

#8 NegaDrain

NegaDrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:34 AM

thanks for replying!
unfortunalty i dont know whether i have any of that hp stuff installed, although my computer is a dell, if the "hp" is the manufacturer.
i ran that through command prompt and it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity problems".

EDIT: although "The computer is operating under high I/O activity for an extended time." this may be true depending on what I/O means...

Edited by NegaDrain, 12 September 2010 - 04:36 AM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

I/O stands for In/Out.

As much as I kept trying to come up with suitable results to STOP: 0x000000C5 (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)

That was one of 5 from Microsoft I used as an example.

If you have Dell XPS 420 Your computer is a Dell brand computer.

This is the list I pulled that from http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul...1033&mode=r

Although the 5th one on this list which is - Stop 0x0000007E does not apply, actually I not even sure why its on the list.

The point I was trying to make with my link above is STOP: 0x000000C5 keeps referring to DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

If we look at the message it is referring to a corrupted driver.

Now if we quarry the key words DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL instead of STOP: 0x000000C5

We come up with 175 possibilities. some related to your STOP: 0x000000C5 and some that are not.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul...1033&mode=r

You also have to understand Microsoft's knowledge base articles are more geared to operating systems used by ITs and commercial /business customers, since those users tend to buy multiple licenses for their software.

So although an operating system may be an NTFS operating system, Microsoft will gear their support more toward operating systems such as server 2003, windows 2000, server 2008 etc.

But those remedies may also work with any operating system that is also NTFS.

You have to blame Microsoft for that one, they cater more to the operating systems bringing the most cash flow.

Bruce.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

Have you done any malware scans recently? Seems to me that a fair amount of those STOP: 0x000000C5 errors used to point to malware items on the system.

Malware has drivers, along with hardware and such things as firewall, AV, etc.

Louis

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

Have you done any malware scans recently? Seems to me that a fair amount of those STOP: 0x000000C5 errors used to point to malware items on the system.

Malware has drivers, along with hardware and such things as firewall, AV, etc.

Louis

Excellent point!

Thanks for bringing that one up Hamluis I think a MalwareBytes scan is something we should try here just to be on the safe side.

Mawarebytes Anti malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Download the FREE version, update it and do a full scan.

Include all your hard drives in this scan.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users