Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

freezing screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wukkie1

wukkie1

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:19 AM

hi i have a 2005 pressario sr1000/sr1519, widows xp home, recently reset to factory settings. in no particular screen or if i am on the internet the computer either freezes or reboots on its own, i have service pack2 and it wont load service pack 3 please advise bill

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2010 - 07:42 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:38 AM

Many HP systems may have problems with SP3, due to HP procedures.

See HP Instructions for SP3 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01452495.

Louis

#3 wukkie1

wukkie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

hi, im not bothered about pack3 it was just for information bill

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

Check for overheating, check your hard drive...freezes can be caused by many things, including malware.

Louis

#5 wukkie1

wukkie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:16 AM

hi update on problem ive had a message on screen ref blue screen, is there a simple answer, i am not a computer buff thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

IMO...a computer is a very sophisticated, complex instrument and there are very few situations which can be resolved by someone who does not have access to the computer...in a simple manner.

The analogy that comes to mind...asking a blind person from another city...how to get to your local municipal downtown area.

I don't think there is a simple answer that anyone can provide you (I certainly cannot) under such conditions. I can only suggest what it might be...and what you might try to find out what can be eliminated.

Louis

#7 wukkie1

wukkie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

hi a couple of points extra are on start up it says uncdms.dll not found, i dont know what that is or how to get it. also when it freezes the screen goes out focus and keeps cming back to normal text and returns to out of focus does this assist anymore thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

Uncdms.dll...seems to be a component of the unnecessary Windows Search 4.0 utility, Google List.

Your other symptoms sound to me as if your video card/chip is dying...at least, that's what I would think if I ever had video problems such as you describe.

If you want, I can move this to the Internal Hardware forum where more knowledgeable persons can give you their ideas about such.

Louis

#9 wukkie1

wukkie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:33 AM

yes please thanks

#10 wukkie1

wukkie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:34 AM

hi ive a rodeon xpress 200 series, with a 300 watt cpu. if i upgrade to say 500w cpu and a radeon 1650 pro would that possibly help thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users