Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pkpopi.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Laurel

Laurel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:01 PM

ok. so this bug, this thing...pkpopi.exe has nested itself into my computer and will not leave! Don't bother try searching it on google...oh no. Its not there. Things that also don't work against this mystery thing:

Microsoft Anti-Spyware
Hijack This
Security Task Manager
Spybot Search and Destroy

Manually trying to find it is useless, it is a stealthy little bug that is hidden, even amongst my hidden folders. If anyone has any idea how to remove this little sucker, PLEASE let me know ASAP.

What it does (that i know of):
-Crashes iTunes. If I manage to remove it for a few seconds, I can open iTunes but as soon as it starts running again iTunes crashes.
-Starts up with my computer
-Theres a possiblilty it is putting adware on the computer. Ever since I noticed it was present, there have been MAD AMOUNTS of pop ups.
-Uses up lots of memory.

That's all I really know so far. Its in my C:\\WINDOWS\system32 folder but everytime I try to find it, it is undetectable, even when I select "show hidden folders". PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...someone, HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:16 PM

:thumbsup: Welcome to Bleeping Computer, Laurel.
You could post a HiJackthis log in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
Before you do, please read the instructions in the How to submit a Hijackthis Log

Please be patient while a member of the HJT team has a chance to look at your log.

It may take several attempts until your log is clean.

Good-luck.

:flowers:
JC

#3 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:30 PM

Probably somewhere in your email accounts. I have a feeling it is a spambot. While waiting on the log, you can try malwhere from www.malwhere.com. Won't remove it, but according to the author it will tell you where it is at. I have run the program, and it did me no harm. (only testing.) Good luck.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users