Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio problems after malware infections

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Icaredor

Icaredor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:50 PM

My Dell Dimension 4600 (XP Home Edition, SP3) was badly infected with viruses when my security system failed. The infections all seem removed now but I have no audio for general computer use or for the web (e.g., Youtube videos). Computer uses SoundMAX Digital Audio. Windows Media Player and Real Player both work fine and all the MS/Dell troubleshooters I've found to run say the sound components are enabled and working properly. I've tried running MS Fix It several times but get a 'runtime error.' I also get a runtime error when Netflix tries to load Silverlight. Thanks for any help. Ickie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:51 AM

I too recently caught a similar bug, I ended up having to replace my hard drive and mainboard, I hope you can avoid this. Good luck.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

WARNING!!! This suggestion involves editing of the registry. Improper editing of the registry can cause your computer to become unbootable. ALWAYS backup your registry before modifying the registry.

To backup your registry, create a System Restore point. Alternatively, you can use the free utility ERUNT to create backups of your registry: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

==========================================================================================

Download no_sound_in_browsers.reg file to your desktop.
Double click on it, and allow registry merge.
Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Icaredor

Icaredor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

Hi, Broni,
thank you for the suggestion. No luck, unfortunately. Everything is the same as was: audio for WMP but not web or computer as a whole.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

Oh, you don't have Windows sounds either?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Icaredor

Icaredor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

No, I don't. I have none of the usual Windows sounds -- e.g., start up music or bleeps and honks during regular operations. CDs play on WMP and Real Player and I can download music and video from the web and play them with sound. However, I get no audio if I play them online.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

Try to reinstall audio driver.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Icaredor

Icaredor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Thanks for the suggestion. I reinstalled the driver from the Dell Drivers disk but nothing changed. Thanks for the DriverBoost link. I download it but it wouldn't run. I tried reinstalling it a couple of times but still no luck.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

The infections all seem removed now

Who did it?

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users