Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on Encryption as a means of defense

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smak451

smak451

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

In my quest to orchestrate a decent home PC security system (from which I sometimes do business-related tasks) I'm wondering about the benefits of encrypting files, either disk encryption (I have several internal HD's primarily for backups -- maybe using Comodo?) or file encryption. For example, apart from encrypting and sensitive docs one might have, if a hacker was able to get in would it make sense to encrypt certain program folders so they cannot be tampered with? Is this recommended at all, and if it is does anyone have any particular recommendations? Thanks alot, Cheers, -- S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twilightsinger3

twilightsinger3

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:23 AM

This would be a good idea to prevent hackers from accessing private or personal files. I use a program called axcript whitch allows you to password protect any file or folder. Basically what you'll see once you incript the file is, instead of file.doc it'll be file.doc.axx. when you click that you are asked for the password you entered when you created the .axx file. It's pretty great. I don't think it'd stop a virus from affecting the file but it will prevent anyone from hacking and accessing important files.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:28 AM

AXCrypt uses AES 256 bit. Good for on the fly files encryption
Free ecnryption tool by Sophos is similar as AXCrypt.
TrueCrypt is disk encryption software. This uses many ciphers of 256 bit strength. (recommended)

You want to save your precious documents from the hands of hackers ? I personally have encrypted a partition (specially for this) using TrueCrypt and copy all important files on it. I also have an encrypted USB disk for backup.

#4 twilightsinger3

twilightsinger3

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

That's all good to know, thanks! Can you only incript disks with truecript or can you use it as you would the other two programs and incript only spacific files?

#5 smak451

smak451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful. Took a loot at axecrypt and it looks great.

The thing I don't fully comprehend yet it the difference between say Comodo Disk Encryption (which encrypts the physical disk) and Truecrypt which on their web page says it

"•Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

•Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

•Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

I guess I don't know enough yet about how the virtualization thing works. I do know that both these programs (Truecrypt & Axecrypt) are top rated downloads on just about every site I look at (Gizmo's, filehippo, sourceforge, CNet etc.).

So I guess I'm wondering what the difference is between Comodo and Truecrypt with respect to full disk encryption? I'll continue researching it but if you guys know off the fly please let us know. Thanks again guys. Cheers, -- S :thumbsup:

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

That's all good to know, thanks! Can you only incript disks with truecript or can you use it as you would the other two programs and incript only spacific files?

No. TrueCrypt encrypts only disks (whether actual partitions or virtual). All the files copied to these disks get automatically encrypted.

So I guess I'm wondering what the difference is between Comodo and Truecrypt with respect to full disk encryption?

When it comes to security and encryption, you should trust open source because thousands of expert programmers and mathematicians all over the world check the code and if they find any bug, it is corrected quickly. This is why TrueCrypt and AXCrypt are popular.

Comodo Disk Encryption looks like a bloated clone of TrueCrypt. Comodo Disk Encryption(CDE) does not come in portable edition like TrueCrypt. Other than that CDE has almost the same features as TrueCrypt.

Personally, I prefer portable TrueCrypt as it leaves no sign of any kind of encryption. Just run it from a USB stick when needed. The encrypted virtual drive is present in form of a file (which can have any file name like Britney_Spears.mp3).

Edited by Romeo29, 11 September 2010 - 06:54 PM.

#7 smak451

smak451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

Awesome, thanks again, I'm looking through the extensive Documentation now -- though I'd probably go for something like Ramble On.mp3 under Zeppelin myself, just sayin!' :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users