Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help picking out a graphics card for older computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vikings09

vikings09

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

So i have a HP pavilion a347x, old i know. I currently do not have the money to upgrade to the computer i would like. I however, do have less than 75 bucks to get a new video card for this "beast" :thumbsup: what i would like to know is what would be the best graphics card i could get for under 75 bucks just to make the computer run a little smoother. Video sucks when playing from Nba dot com, etc and my resources get destroyed by the integrated graphics. So please, please help me get smooth video for under 75 bucks. I have looked around but I really don't know what is best, thats where you come in. I will not use this computer for gaming, why would I? but my girlfriend likes the sims, so if you could also help me knock that bird out, I would greatly greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

That computer came with 256MB of RAM iIf you haven't added more, then I would suggest that the quickest way to improve the performance of this computer would be to add more RAM. This computer came with XP Home, while Microsoft suggest that this operating system will perform with 256MB of RAM, the fact of the matter is that it doesn't even begin to work well until you have bumped this to 512MB. There are those of us that will go so far as to suggest that it doesn't really begin to perform well until you have 1GB of RAM.

This computer has two slot for RAM, with a maximum amount of 512MB per slot. This computer isn't capable of running in dual channel, so you could max out the second slot with a 512MB module which would get you up to 768MB which should make an appreciable difference in performance. The RAM module that came with this computer is a PC-2700, so there isn't any reason to add a faster module like a PC-3200 as the module will only run as fast as the PC-2700.

Crucial has a PC-2700 512MB module for $27.99.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...avilion%20a347x

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:10 AM

I suppose, you're talking about desktop PC...

About RAM: perfect suggestion; 768MB will do fine. You can think of 1GB, as've been said (not critically necessary).

About Graphics Card: I suggest you ATI Radeon HD 5xxx; 40nm, minimum heat and good performance (best ATI's architecture on today, by the way). On 75 bucks you can think of Radeon HD 56xx. ... You can also pick something equivalent from nVidia (ATI will offer 40nm architecture, nVidia will offer PhysX etc.).

GOOD LUCK!

Regards,
rhino

#4 vikings09

vikings09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

I'm sorry I forgot to add that I already installed 1 gig of memory. Any newegg links or amazon would also be awesome. Thanks for the help.

Edited by vikings09, 11 September 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#5 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

I'm sorry I forgot to add that I already installed 1 gig of memory. Any newegg links or amazon would also be awesome. Thanks for the help.

Since your model only has PCI expansion slots, this kind of limits your choices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187057
^- Updated video card for a PCI slot, may work well for you. Probably will run hot, so beware of that and have good airflow in the case if possible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-nVidia-e-GeForc...5011&sr=8-3
^- I've used this card, but in the PCI EXPRESS version. It is a low-end budget card, but I could run World of Warcraft just fine, even at 1920x1080 minus the drop in frame rate during really intensive fights. Recommend 1024x768 or as close to that resolution as possible. This card will NOT run higher end games like Team Fortress 2, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url...amp;x=0&y=0

^- Make sure you don't buy a PCI EXPRESS card and that it is a PCI card, as they don't have them separated in that search.

To be honest, however, with that old of a computer, you probably won't get that much throughput with your card in terms of frames per second so the game play will be marginal at best.

#6 vikings09

vikings09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

I'm not looking to play video games. If anything just simple flash games and nothing more intensive than the sims 3 at medium resolution. I just wanna be ble to play online videos without choppiness because now playing a YouTube video at 480p slows down the computer quite a bit and firefox uses like 90% of resources so I figure a graphics card will help, correct me of I'm wrong.

I'm not looking to play video games. If anything just simple flash games and nothing more intensive than the sims 3 at medium resolution. I just wanna be ble to play online videos without choppiness because now playing a YouTube video at 480p slows down the computer quite a bit and firefox uses like 90% of resources so I figure a graphics card will help, correct me of I'm wrong.

#7 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

Ok! ATI Radeon HD 54xx + RAM 512MB / 768MB!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users