Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old computer, all scans show clear, but diminishing function

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hi all
I am running xp sp3 on an 8 yr old Dell. I have a massive amount of memory (75g with 54g free). In the last week, I have run SAS, MBAM, along with Avira av, I have defragged using defraggler from piriform, I have used Ccleaner, and for good measure Dial a Fix. Spybot also. Nothing out of the ordinary is showing. Here's what the computer is doing:

It loads everything VERY slowly, and things refuse to close and stop responding. Things like my FF browser, my help, explorer, just everything I've run. Suddenly my printer won't print, (and my spool srv is on.) (when I went to administrator tools>services, that window also stopped responding. I tried to uninstall the printer, but the printer help window refused to work. My updates wont install, and I don't know how long that's been going on. I had even consulted the TGTC XP for new ideas of what to do but I see nothing I haven't tried. I did not read the whole thing, however.

So, what's it sound like, a virus? I would love this computer to run faster, and i sort of thought all I needed for that task was a lot of disk space.

Thanks in advance for your help
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

It's possible, you may have some hardware problem, which can be checked, but with 8 years old computer, I'd simply back up your data and go for fresh Windows installation.
See, how it works then.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hi

well, I have a seagate 320g portable drive. What files exactly do I backup? I don't know how to do a fresh install, and I don't have a Windows cd.
Thanks for your answer, that was quick.

Sharon

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

Well, you backup all data, you need, all your private files (pictures, videos, music, etc.)

To reinstall Windows...you may try to call Dell and see, if they still offer recovery CD for your model. It shouldn't cost you more, than 30 bucks.
If they don't have it, you'd have to buy Windows CD.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Okay, I don't think this is the problem. What makes you think it's not a virus? My computer ran fine until the last week.
Thank you,
Sharon

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

A operating system like XP can become corrupted over a period of time which exhibits slow performance as a result. I know of many people that will do a fresh installation once a year just to keep everything nice and crisp. So Broi's suggestion does have merit.

I had a neighbor that has a Dell and needed the installation CD, we called Dell and they verified that we did indeed have one of their computer from the product information sticker. They mailed us the installation disk, and the other disks for the drivers as well for free. Give them a call and see if they will do the same for you. I would also ask them if the CD includes SP3, it makes things a lot simpler if it is slipstreamed into the installation disk.

As for backing up data, when you reformat the hdd and install the operating system you will lose everything that wasn't installed originally in the operating system. Any applications that you downloaded or purchased will be gone. All of your word documents, pictures, music, and videos will be gone. You may want to look to see if you saved the setup instructions for any applications that you downloaded, like Firefox...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

Also, if you want to go "malware-check" way.....

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

Thanks Broni, and what is a DDS? I followed the link you provided, and read in the virus/malware forum about things to check before targeting malware. You know, I've never ever had the case open for a cleaning. Ever!! I attempted it once but stopped because there were no screws only rivets. Not sure how to remove those. Any ideas there?

And thanks dc3, you really clarified some questions I had. thanks for the further information, it really helps me make a decision. Decision 1 is that okay, perhaps now is the time to learn to do an install. Decision 2 is that it's really time to see just what I have backed up and what more I need.
I guess I'm just really intimidated by the process of an install.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:35 PM

DDS - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

I've never ever had the case open for a cleaning. Ever!! I attempted it once but stopped because there were no screws only rivets. Not sure how to remove those. Any ideas there?

Skip that step for now.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users