Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vdmt16.sys

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grub

grub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:10 PM

I can seem to get this off my PC, the PC blue screens with vdmt16.sys error, even when booted in safe mode. Is there anything I can do or do I have to do format c:.........

Edited by grub, 08 November 2005 - 07:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:14 PM

If you search for that file in our Startup Programs Database, you will find the following entry.
I recommend you follow the steps below:

1.) Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
Let it scan your system for files to remove.
Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
Press OK to remove them.

2.) Run a couple of on-line scans.

Trend Micro's online virus scanner
Panda ActiveScan

3.) Please download/install/update/configure and perform a scan with Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware.

Follow all the instructions in the following tutorials:

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer
Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

You could also run the Ad-aware and Spybot scans within safe mode. Additional instructions on how to do this can be found here: How to start Windows in Safe mode.

If none of the above helped...

You could post a HiJackthis log in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
Before you do, please read the instructions in the How to submit a Hijackthis Log

Please be patient while a member of the HJT team has a chance to analysis your log.

It may take several attempts until your log is clean.

Good-luck.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Joshuacat, 08 November 2005 - 09:18 PM.

JC

#3 grub

grub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:48 PM

thanx for the info but the problem that I have is that the system Blue Screens before I can type anything in, no matter what mode I try and boot up in...was wondering if there is anything that can be done from booting to a command prompt.

thanx again

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

So you get the "Blue Screen of Death" and cannot get into Windows at all?
Is your only option to reboot your computer? Safe mode and normal mode produce the same symptom and you have to reboot?

If so, you may have to run a Perform a Repair Installation.

However, the error message you are getting indicates that you have Troj/Haxdoor-CN rootkit infection.
This complicates things a little more when attempting the Repair Installation.

Do you have a back-up of your data?

Please answer the questions above. If you can, you may want to wait until we can get some of the others to weigh in with their options.

Take care,
JC

#5 grub

grub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:44 AM

That is correct the only thing I can do is to turn the PC off and back on, "the Blue Screen of Death" is really something. And yes this happens no matter what mode option that I choose on boot up with F8 , I don't have any data that is important, so I don't have a back-up., so I'm open to anything anyone has to say.....

thanx again

Edited by grub, 10 November 2005 - 07:44 AM.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:51 AM

Try the Repair Installation that I linked to above. I believe that it is the next logical step.
After it is repaired, you will still have to follow the steps in my first post to check for viruses/spyware.

Let us know how you made out with the Repair Installation

Good-Luck.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users