Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Built PC Help - Slow Performance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Oblivinator

Oblivinator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hi there. A few months ago I built a brand new computer. Here's the specs:

PNY XLR8 VCG98GTEE1XEB GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I am running Windows 7 on it now. Before I had Windows XP and it used to run fairly well. Didn't run as great as I had hoped to as well. The fans aren't quiet at all as I had wanted them to be. They used to be quiet on my old system, however, they're pretty loud on this new mobo. I'm thinking I need to get some new fans? I just recently re-applied more thermal compound to the CPU as well.

Another thing, just a few days ago Windows 7 did some automatic updates and ever since then several of my applications run slower than they used to. The games I play don't run to full capacity as they used to as well. Not sure why the update made a significant change. Might just be in my head but I think it might have done something.

I am willing to try out anything. Oh and my computer is capable of several overclocking features. However, I don't want to try them out seeing as how I can't even run smoothly with the default settings. Thanks for any help given!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:02 AM

What are your CPU's temperatures under load? How is the airflow inside the case? If either of these are issues, your CPU or other components may be slowing down to avoid overheating.

3939.png

#3 Oblivinator

Oblivinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

Posted Image

That's while I have a game I play and some other things open. That's without me recording or anything though. Although I just tested it out and there's not much of a difference in anything when I record and whatnot. I'll post more details later when I get home from work.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

Are you using Cool & Quiet from within the BIOS? Those temps look fine. I'm not sure what software you're using but, for me, aside from MSE updates, the only Windows updates I have are for compatibility issues, specifically KB982110 and KB2272691. There was also a Silverlight update, but I don't really see how that could be affecting much. Can you compare your FPS from before these problems started to now?

3939.png

#5 Oblivinator

Oblivinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:17 PM

Well before the problems started, I could run full FPS on this game which is shown at just 40 FPS. I know it's not much when it comes to gaming but that's the max this game shows. Other games it's well over 100+ but I'll just use the other as an example. Whenever a game or even FireFox is open for too long, my screen is a bit choppy at times. Sometimes just exiting FireFox or the game completely will fix that issue.

Now then when I'm at full FPS(40) the client/game is fine. But after it goes choppy, it goes down to as much as 15 FPS. However whenever I record game content using Xfire, FPS jumps all around the place from 40-150 FPS. Making it extremely choppy trying to record. Another game that becomes choppy that I play is Ijji GunZ.

Not sure if it's just a problem with the older fans or maybe even the graphics card is starting to die? I still have my warranty on it so I should be fine either way. As for Cool & Quiet, I'm fairly certain it's selected as well. I'll double check whenever I get some time again soon.

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

Are you running these games with other programs running? Try shutting off everything except the FPS monitor and see what happens. I ask because of your screenshot above, many things appear open. It's a simple thing, but it is nice to double-check everything before more intensive diagnostic procedures. You mentioned this is a brand-new PC, have you done a burn-in procedure overnight to check for hardware stability? Usually, you will want to run Memtest overnight to check for RAM problems, Prime95 for several hours to test the CPU (Get the 64-bit version and set it up for multiple CPU cores since you use a quad, I couldn't get their website to load for some reason), and Furmark to test the GPU. Prime95 and Furmark will put a huge load on those components and if they fail, something has gone wrong.

3939.png

#7 Oblivinator

Oblivinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:13 AM

I let Prime95 run for about 6 hours and every test passed without a problem. Here's my scores for FurMark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/score.ph...df303645c06fae8 That's with Xtreme burning mode, displacement mapping, and Post FX checked. As for MemTest, I can't seem to get it to boot at all whatsoever. Not sure why.

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

I'm a bit at a loss, Windows 7 comes with a memory checker (Windows Memory Diagnostic) but it isn't as full featured as Memtest which has to be burned onto a disc as an ISO and ran at PC startup. You do need an ISO burning program to get it on the disc. I'm also a little confused at the Furmark results, it says you're using Windows XP and your GPU driver version is over a year old, yet, you're using Windows 7.

3939.png

#9 Oblivinator

Oblivinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:19 AM

Weird not sure why that link got posted instead of the right one: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/score.ph...04352215969821c As for the MemTest, I did burn it and tried to boot off of it and it wouldn't work. I made sure to make the DVD drive the first boot priority as well. One other thing though. For my ram, it says I have 4 GB of RAM, however it says only 3.25 GB is usable? All in all I think I'm going to end up reformatting again some time and see if that helps with anything.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

Did you burn Memtest as an .iso?
How to write / burn an ISO or CD/DVD image

I have 4 GB of RAM, however it says only 3.25 GB is usable?

If you're using a 32 bit version of Windows 7, you won't see the whole 4 gigs of RAM.
It takes a 64 bit OS to see 4, or more gigs of RAM.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Oblivinator

Oblivinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

Yeah I've burned ISO's before so I know how to do that much. I'll try again later when I have some more time. As for the RAM, that's lame. Could have sworn that I was told Windows 7 could use the whole 4 gigs of RAM. Guess I'll probably get the 64 bit. I thought maybe I had to tweak my ram or something. I had to do that before so it could read more in Windows XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users