Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My screen blinks and then turns off

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ktpot

ktpot

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

I originally thought this was left over from a virus, but after 3 weeks of someone helping me in that forum, they told me that I need to post over here.

My problem is got a virus (Alureon) and finally was able to get rid of it, but I still have a problem.

After starting my computer I'll be able to see a little pixelation on the screen. As some point the screen will flash to a black screen and then usually it'll flash back on - sometimes it doesn't come back on and I get a "no signal" message from my monitor.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled my video driver, and a miriad of other things - here's the link to what I've been doing before I was referred here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic336954.html

I would just like to not have to reboot my computer about 10 times a day.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldpapa49

oldpapa49

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

When your monitor blinks and cuts off, does your power lite turn from 1 color to the off (usually red)?

Have you tried to run in safe mode and see if it cuts off there?

1. I would remove your video drivers in the safe mode then reboot to normal.. That should then get the drivers recovered correctly. (note: in safe mode, try changing the driver to vga type.. Look at the lest of supported drivers)

note, I use to service computers and either your monitor is going south or the drivers are not correctly installed with some leftovers.
If this was a notebook, I would say the FL device (powers the display light) is going bad..

Old

#3 ktpot

ktpot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:57 PM

When the monitor blinks off, the blue light stays on and it never turns to the red "off" color.

In safe mode it doesn't seem to cut out.

I removed the video driver in safe mode, rebooted to normal and installed the drivers - I still have the same problem.

I didn't try changing to vga type, because I don't know how to do that.

If you tell me how to do the vga thing, I can have a go at it again.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

I didn't try changing to vga type, because I don't know how to do that.

If you tell me how to do the vga thing, I can have a go at it again.

He was referring to using Windows generic drivers in device manager, thus VGA drivers. These usually are good enough to get the graphics card to render an image, but usually in the lowest screen resolution available.

Usually when we get viruses on our computers, the methods used to remove the virus include the deletion or removal of infected system files, sometimes these system files that became infected are needed to make hardware work properly or communicate with the operating system.

This can cause operating system corruption.

The windows driver information data base have to be rebuilt again.

It is sort of like driving a car with one wheel missing from the car's axle.

You also have to realize some infected operating system files masquerade as a hardware driver, when you become infected with a Trojan, it can replace an innocent hardware driver with an infected file of the same name, the difference is the code written into the file.

The file can be a copy of the innocent version, however a script kiddie as we call them, may have altered the code a bit to execute a suspicious and harmful action.

When your virus scanner reads the DNA of the file and recognizes a known malicious piece of code, it deletes the file.

This causes system file corruption, hardware needs several files to work properly, those being several .sys files.

Some hardware requires about 20 files associated wih it to work, try examining a folder on your hard drive and you will see at least 20 or more files in the folder, these do not include the files found in the C:\Windows\System32 folder or C:Windows\system32\drivers folder.

Any system file that is not properly protected by the Windows operating system, is vulnerable to being over-written by a bad file intended to hurt your computer.

These files are usually related to hardware, software you install or Malware programs that masquerade as free useful programs.

Sorry for the soap-box lecture here, just wanted to explain why hardware issues develope after Malware or Trojans are removed from a system.

It is almost to be expected, that after a system is cleaned of an infection, something is not going to function correctly, because the Trojan or Virus most likely infected a vulnerable file originally installed on the system by a legit installation.

With that being said, you need to go through your list of hardware drivers, un-install them one by one and in the process, each one you un-install, re-install it before un-installing the next one.

This procedure will remove the file corruption that Windows System File Checker (SFC) can not correct. SFC in most cases only repairs Microsoft Windows installed files, it does always correct files installed by unknown programs or hardware driver installations.

In the case of this thread, it is obvious your Video driver is the issue here.

You need to un-install the files and re-install them with the correct installation.

On one other note often over looked by most computer owners. Some hardware has firmware flashed into EPROM chips on the hardware.

Video cards, hard drives, CD-DVD drives, Modems, Sound cards (to name a few) have programmable chips built into them, these chips can be flashed with new firmware, with or with-out your permission! If a piece of Malware has code to execute such a flash, or if a driver installation which is NOT a safe installation program (This happens to desperate people searching for drivers and download them from an un-safe web site.) This program can be a malicious fake and actually flash your hardware's EPROM chip with bad code!

So to all those reading this post, please, go to your hardware's official support web site for drivers! DO NOT take chances!

I can NOT stress this enough, this is how many computers become infected. Using driver search programs can also put you at risk, yes we want drivers for our hardware, but doing so, can sometimes put your computer at risk for hidden Malware, Trojans and Viruses.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 September 2010 - 11:58 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ktpot

ktpot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

I have already removed the video driver in safe mode, rebooted and reinstalled the video driver from files that I got directly from NVIDIA.com. I'm still having the problem.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

I have already removed the video driver in safe mode, rebooted and reinstalled the video driver from files that I got directly from NVIDIA.com. I'm still having the problem.

Okay for the thoroughness of this topic, lets get the video cards model number in this thread. If you can supply that in your next post that would be greatly appreciated.

Once I have that, we can then diagnose your problem, you boot up the computer, the screen blinks, then turns off.

As I read this statement, I look at the boot process of your motherboard BIOS, before it hands off the boot control to your hard drive and its boot sector.

If the computer boots up and does not go as far as the hard drives boot sector, then we have a motherboard issue.

Lets stick with this possibility for a bit.

At this point, no drivers are loaded into memory.

The system is booting off of pre-written code flashed into the motherboard's BIOS EEPROM chip, this is what boots the system and sends the command to the CPU, where the control is taken over for a bit, the CPU processes the data and starts the rest of the computer up, thus taking commands from the BIOS ROM.

It takes an assessment and inventory of installed hardware, keyboard, mouse, then it checks for a boot loader until it finds one, usually a bootable cdrom/dvdrom or hard disk.

As it reads from the boot loader, it then starts to load system and hardware drivers needed into RAM, such as your RAM sticks.

Until the operating system loads and takes control.

Okay, if your hardware fails during POST, this is an indicator that your PSU can not supply enough power to power up a hardware device, such as a video card.

There could be a short somewhere in the system, if it happens at this stage, the system powers its self off to hopefully prevent damage.

What is a short?

This can be a number of things. I will run down a short list here.

Motherboard is grounded out to system case in a circuit that is not meant to be grounded. Cause: motherboard stand offs are making contact with a circuit on motherboard.

Expansion card mounting bracket is making contact with motherboard.

Wires sometimes make contact with hot metal heat sinks and rubber coating is burned through allowing copper wire inside to short out.

Wires can sometimes come in contact with hot electronic components, such as diodes, resisters or voltage regulators, and the rubber coating again is burned through, causing a hidden short.

Power supply may not have enough power to power up all hardware installed, power supply shuts down from exertion, over heating.

Faulty memory (RAM) can cause issues at this point, because that is where everything is sent by the CPU, before it is executed and carried out and cycled through the system BUS and the network of circuitry found on the motherboard. You know those things we call circuit traces that run endlessly around the motherboard like the streets of New York City?

If the system makes it to the hard drive and the boot loader, then shuts down or restarts once drivers are loaded or in the process of loading into RAM, there would now be the possibility that a driver is corrupted and causing the system to do something that is not correct, it may cause an IRQ conflict or access a block of memory or a memory address it does not belong in, this is called a buggy driver in some instances, or a corrupted one.

Hardware such as video cards can start to heat up now, because their drivers have loaded into memory, heat can cause hardware to fail or shut down to avoid possible damage.
The processor starts to heat up now, because it has a lot being thrown upon it at this point. Its clock cycles has increased tremendously and heat now becomes an issue.

Now that we are giving control to the operating system, we hope the operating system demands that our hardware plays nicely with each other, that there are no IRQ conflicts, that one request does not try to access a memory address already being used by another, causing a crash, like when two automobiles try to occupy the same parking space at the same time. (disaster!)

Again, buggy drivers can cause this to happen, buggy drivers are like a drunk trying to drive a car and keep it on the road. (disaster!)

Hardware can have buggy firmware flashed into its ROM and that can cause issues.

So you see there is a lot of possibilities here.

I know I kind of went over board here, but I have found that when I was learning to trouble-shoot computers I needed a through explanation of the process involved, before it started to become clear to me.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 September 2010 - 04:29 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 ktpot

ktpot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

GeForce 7300 GT
Driver version: 258.96
core clock: 350 MHz
Memory interface: 128 bit
Memory: 512 MB
Memory type: DDR2
Video BIOS version: 5.73.22.62.00
IRQ: 16
Bus: AGP 4X

I'm hoping that this is what you want.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

Thank you this more than enough information to meet my needs. :thumbsup:

I just wanted to give you a quick reply.

Be back shortly. :flowers:

Bruce.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

I want to ask you, you have already tried un-installing the driver and re-installed it several times.

I want to ask if you have tried an earlier version of the driver, I had problems with my Nvidia GeForce 6200 with the latest driver, doing just as yours is doing.

Strangely, I uninstalled the latest driver I had just downloaded from Nvidia's web site and used a file I had previously stored in a downloads folder for all my hardware.

Once I had that driver installed, my computers restarts stopped.

I do not know what was wrong, because both drivers had the same version number.

But my computer would just restart for no reason and the suspect file was nvlddmkm.sys this was the culprit that caused my video card problems and restarts.

The file I have now is version number 8.17.12.5896

This nvlddmkm.sys 8.17.12.5896 has not casued this stop error.

I think you may have the same issue and as I quoted above, the nvlddmkm.sys that crashed my system was from a current download from Nvidia's web site.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 September 2010 - 09:52 PM.

#10 ktpot

ktpot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

How would I get an earlier version of the driver? I don't believe I have one on my computer.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:51 AM

How would I get an earlier version of the driver? I don't believe I have one on my computer.

I am assuming you had the latest driver downloaded from the official Nvidia web site, is this correct?

I am curious if you are able to check event viewer in Windows.

If you can, check it to see if there is a dump file associated with your video card.

If there happens to be one, it should tell you which file caused the problem.

I checked mine for that error I had, but it has been so long since it last happened, the log was flushed already, so in my case that is a good thing, it means I corrected the error.

I often check my event viewer for errors, even though my system is functioning properly, it helps me keep track of what is going on behind the scenes.

Bruce.

#12 ktpot

ktpot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

Yes, I downloaded the current driver from NVIDIA's web site.

I googled how to look up the event viewer, and I don't have Performance and Maintenance in my control pannel, so if there's another way... I don't know what it is. So as far as I know I am not able to look at it.

****I found the Event Viewer! Now I have to choose from Application, Security, System,AMPingLog, and Internet Explorer - what exactly am I looking for, and which one of those files do I look in?

Edited by ktpot, 13 September 2010 - 12:17 PM.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

Please check this link it explains how to use event viewer in Windows XP.

http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/windows-xp...-viewer-xp.html

I know this web site explains how to do other things with event viewer, all I want you to do is check the logs for errors.

Check system in the event viewer.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 September 2010 - 12:38 PM.

#14 oldpapa49

oldpapa49

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

I was wondering if he just loaded the ms vga / super vga and if it works. Also, he would need to delete the folder where he saved the files for update the nVidia's driver just incase they got hit.
If he still has his OLD CD, he might load those in on the card and see if he can go backwards to the older files on the cd he got with the card.

Maybe if he has a different card non-nVidia, let the drivers load for that..

Just maybe, since the card is in a higher mode, it might be over heating a bit.
And nVidia used crappy electrolytic.. He maybe should look at the card's silver top caps and see if they are bowing.. I had one that was about 2 years old and had this issue.. Even a guys home computer had an nVidia that showed the same issue..

What ya think

#15 ktpot

ktpot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

there are 3 errors for today (and it looks like the same errors have been happening everyday)

The npkcrypt service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.
The HID Input Service service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.
The adfs service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

all of the above errors are followed by: For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I went to the link, and honestly don't understand what they want me to do :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users