Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer very slow and freezing up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mo12

mo12

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

I have Windows XP home version on my HP Pavillion computer using Internet Explorer 7 and service pack 3. Lately my computer is taking forever to start up. It also freezes a lot and I get messages saying Windows is increasing the size of my virtual memory. I have scanned regularily with Avira Antivirus free and have tried defragmenting as well. I often get a warning error on the left bottom side of the icon tray saying "done, but with errors on page" Hotmail is running terribly slow and when I do Google searches, I often get stuck and can't get back or out of the site. Should I post a hijack this log? If so can you guide me through the process?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

How much RAM is installed?

Is XP managing the virtual memory?

Errors on webpages...I think that's pretty common, but it may indicate that you need to dump your cache or repair/reinstall IE or even upgrade to IE8.

How much free space on C:, how large is C:?

Freezing can be attributed to many things...I would not leap to the "I must have malware" theory of computing.

<<...when I do Google searches, I often get stuck and can't get back or out of the site>>

Can you explain more clearly...Google searches on my systems just bring up a list of various sites...do you mean that you cannot close the window for a given site visited?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users