Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Science Degree Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 insomniac

insomniac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in programming and i'll soon be learning how to programme using the language C++. I'm hoping to do an Access to Higher Course so that hopefully, all going well, I'll get myself into University doing a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering. I'm working in construction at the moment but i'm determined to change direction and make it in an IT related carreer.
Please can anyone on here help me out with advice e.g. info on the content of Computer Science Degree Courses, what's covered, over how long etc etc....
Thanks everyone,
Paul :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:21 PM

That's currently my course of study, so I think I can give you a bit of insight, since the course content is nearly identical, even in an International sense. One thing that might surprise you is that computer science is not so much about the programming. While it is important to be able to understand computers from a lower level such as proframming, Computer Science approaches computers from a higher, more abstract level. The programming that you learn will serve as a means of becoming familiar with data types, programming models, data bases, asymptotic analysis.(Which is not to say that you won't become very proficient at least one or two languages. A computer scientist is the architect or engineer, while in general, others actually get down to the business of coding. (I "retired" from many years in construction to go back to my school and pursue a degree). You wouldn't want your nail pounders designing your hotel, would you? :thumbsup:

A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Comp Sci is going to run you four years or more, and is going to wiegh heavily on mathematics and science, along with computer related issues. In my course of study, I will end up with a minor in mathematics, and probably a minor in physics if I decide to take a few more courses. The Bachelor of Arts tends to be more IT related, and does not focus as heavily on math and science, but focuses more on liberal arts type curriculum, along with web-development, etc. I personally would recommend going the math and sceince route. It's harder, but at least the math you learn is usable in the real world...people use it all the time, they just don't realize it. ANd once you get your head wrapped around it, it is pretty cool.

As far as the different types of courses covered, just check out the university catalog (or any uni that has a comp sci program). A summary page for the school I go to is here:
http://www.usd.edu/csci/info.cfm

Go for it.. more people need to follow into Comp sci. There are more job opportunities and less and less people to fill them. :flowers:

#3 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:26 PM

:thumbsup: Your studying Ba of Computer Science. Thats great, I am also. I've already done a few subjects and I'l be going back to Uni soon. If I can give you any advice that would help I would have to say, do your reasearch and work out where your going. Its important for you as a student doing a Ba of Computer Science to know where your headed because it will give you motivation to continue studying. It will also help you know what kind of people to form conacts with that will help you get there to do your desired career.

I'm planning to study Ba of Computer Science but my focus will be on Networking and Network Security. So this means I am going to try to Major in Digital Security Systems and also find out what jobs out there I am going for. Not sure where I'm headed in that respect but I do know what I will be doing most of my own time during my study at Uni. Let me put it this way. I'm not there for Uni. Uni is there for me. I already know the things I want to learn that will get me into the area of study that I'm focusing on and I'm using Uni to help me get there in that respect.

I'm also looking into being qualified in such things as:
A+
Network+
Security+
MCSE
CCNA
CEH

These sort of qualifications will help you in obtaining a job also because when quailified you will be focused on one particular area of IT. This is a good step to getting a job, this is what the Employers want to see. Because when you go for a job and they see you are qualified in Ba of Computer Science the next question they are going to ask is.... "Ok, what else have you got?" You are competing with others so remember this reading this post. I'm always keen to make contact with other programmers so we should keep in touch if you like.

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#4 geekedout

geekedout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in programming and i'll soon be learning how to programme using the language C++. I'm hoping to do an Access to Higher Course so that hopefully, all going well, I'll get myself into University doing a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering. I'm working in construction at the moment but i'm determined to change direction and make it in an IT related carreer.
Please can anyone on here help me out with advice e.g. info on the content of Computer Science Degree Courses, what's covered, over how long etc etc....
Thanks everyone,
Paul :thumbsup:

I have a Computer Science BS from Georgia Tech. IMO, if you want a career in IT you most likely don't need a Computer Science degree. Most good IT people I know are self taught and just have an eagerness to learn those skills. If you want a structured ciriculum, IT and Technical schools actually are sufficient in teaching real world implementation and skills.

That being said, if you want to become a "Computer Scientist" or are really interested in learning about the methods, idealogy, theory of computing then I would say go for it. I feel many people have misguided ideas of what Computer Science is truely about and don't find enjoyment in learning about it. The advantage I feel like a degree has given me is knowledge (history, philosophy, ideology, methodology) that will always be with me. Almost anyone can learn a skill and tools become obsolete, but knowledge will always remain within. Either route you go, I encourage you. But if you are just looking to learn a specific skill for a specific job function / career path, a degree isn't necessary.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users