Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gluing a laptop key back on? And missing grippers at the bottom of laptop?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Darwin Botts

Darwin Botts

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

Hi everyone! I am on a laptop and have a problem or two.

Thank you for any help today! Okay now:

1. My key on my laptop keyboard fell out. I have the original key and before I glue it back in:

What is a good glue to put back on a missing key?

I am new at putting in screenshots but here goes nothing!

Posted Image

Also I am missing the rubber stoppers at the bottom. I'm sorry that I do not know the proper word for it. But once again here is a picture.

Posted Image

What would be a good rubber stopper replacement and glue?

Should I use different brand glues on each of these surfaces? One is that rubber on the keyboard and one is that plastic on the back of laptop?

Sorry for the long post and sorry if (I used www.tinypic.com to upload pictures) the pictures did not work out.

Thank you soooo much everyone!
:thumbsup:

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2012 - 07:34 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internl Hardware - Hamluis.

I'm sorry that I don't understand how computers and websites work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

Take a look at this article on replacing keys on the keyboard.

The rubber piece on the bottom is called a foot, or feet. If you still have the foot you can use five minute epoxy to reattach it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Darwin Botts

Darwin Botts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

dc3

Thank you very much for your advice! Great! Great information!

Problem #1:
From reading your link about the keys on the keyboard. It turns out:

just "snap" the keycap back into place and it worked! Just the top of the key popped out. Nothing else. I had no idea that you just easily snap it in. That "top" piece I learned today is a keycap!

I feel like a dumb person! :thumbsup:

At least you are respectful to me! I am grateful! <3

Problem #2:
I'm sorry. I lost the rubber feet awhile ago. I meant to "hold" onto them. But heh....it's been an embarrsing time for me. Not having any "feet" on my laptop. That's why I get nervous about posting here but happy that you responded incredibly fast and good info!

I never worked with "epoxy" I guess I go to a umm...hardware store. Ask them for help?

Yea the feet are missing a quick google search for "laptop rubber feet" and....

Posted Image

This is from amazon.com found:

http://www.amazon.com/CJ-Solves-It-Laptop-...f=pd_sbs_misc_1

Though I still have 1 rubber feet on mine. I guess that I'd have to remove it to keep all the new "feet" in the same set? Instead of mixing and matching?

PS: I am still looking for "my" feet. I own a 15 inch wide screen laptop made by gateway.

Thank you very much! dc3

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

Glad to have been able to help. :thumbsup:

Remember, there are no dumb questions. I wasn't born with this knowledge, I had to learn just like everyone else.

Those feet even have an adhesive applied to them so all you need to do is clean the surface first and then just peal and stick them on. Good find!

You don't need the epoxy with these feet, but just for future reference, you can purchase "five minute epoxy" at most any hardware store. To use it you squeeze out equal portions onto a disposable material that you can then mix the two parts together on. Then you apply it to the surface/s of what you want to glue. It begins to set up in about five minutes, hence the name, cold temperatures will make it take longer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Darwin Botts

Darwin Botts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

You are my hero! Thanks very much!!! ^^

dc3! :thumbsup:

Once again a super fast response!!!

Going to order those feet I saw on amazon and from the reviews. It looks promising!

You gave me crystal clear advice.

You rock dc3!

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

I don't think I would use expoxy to glue the feet back on. Usually, several of the feet on a laptop cover screws that hold the case together whivh means the feet need to be removed for the laptop to be serviced. I would recommend a rubber based contact glue instead of the epoxy.

Looks like the lifts are adhesive backed so if you use them you'll be OK.

Edited by strolln, 10 September 2010 - 01:16 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 joe smith 3rd

joe smith 3rd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

I think you are much better off just buying a new laptop key, they are cheap and easy to install, from the picture, looks like you key hinge is fine, so basically all you need a new laptop key cap, take a look at laptop key they carry the model of your laptop, and never use glue. Good luck.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

Stolln and joe smith 3rd, I'm speechless.

The article that I provided a link to suggested that the key would snap back into place, and it did.

I've never seen any manufacturer cover screws with feet, or anything else for that matter. And the solution that was found didn't require epoxy.

Edited by dc3, 10 September 2010 - 06:56 PM.

#9 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

Stolln and joe smith 3rd, I'm speechless.

The article that I provided a link to suggested that the key would snap back into place, and it did.

I've never seen any manufacturer cover screws with feet, or anything else for that matter. And the solution that was found didn't require epoxy.

Why would you be speechless?

I guess you haven't taken very many laptops apart then, it's actually quite common for the feet to be placed over some of the screws.

Other people may read the responses other than you so the advice not to use expoxy to glue the feet on is quite relevant, especially since not everyone would order the bumpers you decided to use.

Edited by strolln, 11 September 2010 - 07:41 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

Those laptops that have removable feet use plugs for feet. They're pulled out to access the screws and then pushed back in afterward. Most people would notice the access screw and not put glue over it.

If the foot wasn't intended to come out but did, then yeah... I see no reason not to use epoxy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users