Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor who-do, voodoo & doo-doo....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hi all!

I gave advice to someone else here to study up and educate themselves on components, so they'd get what they really wanted. Well, it came back and bit me! I'm just plain AMD stumped: Dual-Triple-Quad core, CPU speed, L2/L3 cache, FSB speed, HyperTransport, MMX, EVP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a, Enhanced 3DNow!, NX bit, AMD64, Cool'n'Quiet....got my noggin throbbin'!

On dialup here, that can't change, but 50K-52K+ connect speeds. Main problems on my old computers: very slow program downloads [3.5 - 4.5kbps?], slow web page & e-mail graphics, slow Copy/Paste from graphics-heavy web page to Word document, or one active program sucks the brains out of another.

Regarding CPU's, from what little I know the main factors are Processor speed, FSB speed, L2/L3 cache rates, plus number of cores. But I can't figure out if I'm better with a 2.0G triple core than a 3.0G dual core; or if a 2K L2 cache dual core 2.0G is actually better than a 1K L2 cache triple core 2.0G, or whether I want max L2 & L3 cache & FSB rather than max processor speed or dual/triple core factors?

Just can't crack the nut on the most important combination. Vendors know it and take advantage of it. 50 processors listed but somehow they forget to give FSB speeds on a dozen, oh woops. Or L2/L3 cache sizes are missing on 2 dozen, but FSB & Hyper Transport, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a, Enhanced 3DNow!, NX bit, AMD64 are shown, thanks so much.

Lack of vendor's full specs & confusing terminology/technology turns a fairly simple task into hours, days & then weeks of chin-dribbling mumbling, twitching & near hysteria. I think catatonic schizo is closing in fast. Is there any link or info you good folks who are more knowledgeable can pass on to solve the mysteries? I gave it my very best shot & missed by a mile...

Thanks!!

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2010 - 07:19 AM.
Moved from System Building to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

First off... I too am stuck with a dialup connection. But you are much more fortunate than I am, as I average 26.4 Kb/ps. Yeah... shocking ain't it. Unfortunately, as you have probably already figured out, short of installing a satellite connection you are pretty much stuck with that slow browsing and download speed.

What this really boils down to is what are you going to use this computer for, and here's the big one... how much do you intend to spend?

It is indeed sad to think that your upgrade is going to be predicated on your wallet, but there you are.

Do you want to build with all new parts? Of are there parts that you will incorporate from your old machine. Case, optical drive...?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:35 AM

Hi DC3, I'm in the mountains a ways south of you. Wouldn't trade it for the world, but there's some limitations that come with it.

Scratch build. Cost is the big unknown, budget build for sure. 95% of my computer world is internet and email. Possibility of a very low level CAD program, AutoCad LT Release 1 & 2, built for Windows 3.1 and 8Mb of RAM. Not sure what else is in the future so I want to be able to upgrade later & AMD seems the best CPU for that. I'm sure a couple of $100 will cover it, if I know WHAT to buy.

Not dialup speed but slow page transitions that drives me nuts. Old machine was fine, until antiviruses take over! Tried most everything out there, but 3-6 months of AV 'Updates' slowly kill the machine. Finally crashed hard and need to build something that can carry the AV/Firewall etc. and still do something else besides.

Dug into Tiger Direct & New Egg but they refuse to give full specs to understand what you're really buying. That's why the question of what are the most important factors affecting the true speed of a CPU in performing multi-tasking, page transitions, simple graphics display etc. I know there's a heck of a lot more to it than 'Processor Speed'.

Hoping to get some tips or links on what exact parts of CPU specs really tell the most about true performance, beyond fancy names and the smoke & mirrors hoopla.

Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:23 AM

The first thing that I would suggest is to post a topic in the Am I Infected forum and see if they can help you clear up your infection. At least this will give you a computer to work with until you decide what to do with a future build.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thanks buddy!

Actually I was going to do that and already have the composed post saved on my drive. Thing is I cannot explain it without LOTS of words, so the post is too big for folks to want to read: i.e. a waste of time on their part & my part. I don't think it is infected.

Problem is that nobody seems to believe that Antivirus program updates can blow out System Settings, even though I found a couple of dozen posts elsewhere describing exactly that, with the same AV's I was using. I always get an argument if I dare even suggest it. Regular as clockwork, every time my AV's would update KABLAMMO > System Settings scrambled!

The final explosion slammed the whole drive sideways and it's still quivering there in the tower, poor thing. One example is I went to my Sys Info 'Startup Programs' file: instead of the 25-50 or so normal entries there previously > > > 90 PAGES of Startup entries!

'Something' blew out my PC card board's interface also, so I cannot connect to any modem or printer: PC board & USB or LPT ports not recognized. Cannot find how to fix that, didn't get much for replies on how to access Dell BIOS to change settings or enable or whatever. Found myself flying loops and gave up.

Soooooo, looking at a rebuild?

BTW: in research for answers to my own question, for those who would stumble in here later: the most critical factors in computer's actual 'speed' are apparently: FSB speed, number of processor cores, nm clock speed, processor cache & total physical memory. Rated 'Processor Speed' like '4.5Gz!!!' has very little to do with anything & is primarily marketing hoopla.

Thanks for your help & suggestions!

Edited by Spectacle, 11 September 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

For what its worth, 56K is rather slow and downloading and doing multiple page downloads will cripple any thing you do on the computer regardless of how fast your PC is.

What kind of explosion was there? Was this outside or inside the house?

Was there a lightning strike that maybe fried your computer?

Can you please be more specific about your issue?

Your symptoms do not sound like an infection at all, but maybe a dying hard drive.

Can you perform this:

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

For what it's worth Cryptodan... I'm on a dial up connection that averages 26.4Kbps, and I just download Avast which is in excess of 42GB. It is slow, but it still can get things done.

#8 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

Where am I? Where's my car? Okay, so now this is in 'Am I infected?', but I was asking about hardware specs related to a build.

All I've ever had is dialup, and that's all that's available around here. It works just fine if the computer is running right. The options of $400-$500 installation fees and $60-$90 monthly, with yearly contract only, for satellite don't amuse me. $12.95 monthly for a fast dialup is good enough.

I had Avast! Antivirus and Online Armor Firewall on the other computer that died, both continually updated. Ran Avast! scans & found nothing. Also ran Malwarebytes & Super-Antispyware scans, nothing showed up.

As for the 'explosion' that was merely an exaggerated extrapolation of the vernacular, not indicating an actual sudden release of kinetic energy. Figures of speech.

Looks like this thread on hardware specs for a build is dead. I'll start another thread on the crashed computer I guess, though I cannot do much with it now either.

Thanks!

Edited by Spectacle, 12 September 2010 - 12:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users