Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible to have both word 2007&word 2010 as seperate programs on same computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darwin Botts

Darwin Botts

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hi everyone! Sorry I get kind of nervous posting on forums.

My question is:

Can you have both word 2007 and word 2010 as seperate programs on the same computer?

I really enjoy tinkering in word 2007 when I got it. Though today I did qualify for the college discounted microsoft package. Which lets a college student buy the Microfsot Office Professional Academic Package can be found:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-us/default.aspx

Before I got into college I did buy microsoft word 2007. Now I have a new package installed and it got rid of the word 2007.

The reason why I wanted to hold onto it is because I like to help out others with word 2007. Unless I can actually open it and use it to give out directions. A lot of people I know haven't upgraded because of the cost. I don't blame them though would like to have it handy.

Still have the original disc and package it came in. I do love looking at the shiny graphic on the microsoft "official" disc!

Thank you everyone for reading my question! And help!
:thumbsup:
I'm sorry that I don't understand how computers and websites work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hi everyone! Sorry I get kind of nervous posting on forums.

My question is:

Can you have both word 2007 and word 2010 as seperate programs on the same computer?

I really enjoy tinkering in word 2007 when I got it. Though today I did qualify for the college discounted microsoft package. Which lets a college student buy the Microfsot Office Professional Academic Package can be found:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-us/default.aspx

Before I got into college I did buy microsoft word 2007. Now I have a new package installed and it got rid of the word 2007.

The reason why I wanted to hold onto it is because I like to help out others with word 2007. Unless I can actually open it and use it to give out directions. A lot of people I know haven't upgraded because of the cost. I don't blame them though would like to have it handy.

Still have the original disc and package it came in. I do love looking at the shiny graphic on the microsoft "official" disc!

Thank you everyone for reading my question! And help!
:thumbsup:

As far as I know, without tweaking some of the files / registry entries, this is not possible.
Even then, there could be problems.

At my work, we use multiple versions of office on single computers, but we uncheck specific applications. (example: Office 2000, we need to keep Access 2000, so when we installed Office 2003 suite we uncheck the Access 2003 installation.)

#3 Darwin Botts

Darwin Botts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

MatheusDebull :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for responding to my question!

I'm no expert in anything related to computers. Maybe one day that will change!

I don't know anything about the windows registry, though I've read it is a POWEFUL force to be reckon with.

Going to just throw away the box and shiny disc in the garbage.

Thank you again MatheusDebull!!!! ^^
I'm sorry that I don't understand how computers and websites work.

#4 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:07 PM

MatheusDebull :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for responding to my question!

I'm no expert in anything related to computers. Maybe one day that will change!

I don't know anything about the windows registry, though I've read it is a POWEFUL force to be reckon with.

Going to just throw away the box and shiny disc in the garbage.

Thank you again MatheusDebull!!!! ^^

You're welcome.

I currently run Office 2007 myself and was actually looking into upgrade to Office 2010 as they finally offer one new feature that caught my eye: Full compatibility for Open Office Documents. According to some reviews I have read, apparently previous versions of Word would corrupt open office documents when attempting to save as them. Now I guess it doesn't.

I checked out that link, and wish I was still a student because I would get that deal in a heartbeat!

#5 twilightsinger3

twilightsinger3

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:10 AM

I have both office 07 and 2010 running on my winseven netbook and they work fine without interfeering or any of that.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:22 AM

Yes, you can. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:57 AM

Yes, you can. :thumbsup:

Ah yes, that is right.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/09/02/h...-side-together/

The part that is required on the user is making sure they choose a different installation directory.

The word documents will however default to the Word 2010 software unless you change the file association for them (or follow the guide and have it 'repair' the install of 2007).

I must have been thinking of Outlook instead, my apologizes Darwin Botts

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

For MS Word, you simply need to install it in the order : 2007, followed by 2010.
When installing Office 2010, be sure to carry out a CUSTOM installation (not upgrade).

I must have been thinking of Outlook instead, my apologizes Darwin Botts

Outlook is the only exception, where a single instance must be installed.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users