Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking my motherboard for 1800 memory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sleepieyed

Sleepieyed

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

I recently purchased the ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard. I also purchased 2gb DDR3 1800 ram dual channel. The MB says it supports "1800 O.C.".

Using my computer knowledge and looking it up I came to the conclusion that this meant that I need to overclock my MB to use the 1800 speed of my ram.

It is currently running my ram as 1333 single channel. I dinked around in the BIOS to set my ram speed to 1800 but I couldn't figure it out.

I ordered 2gb more of this ram and I would like to get all 4gb up to 1800 dual channel.

I can supply more info if need be. Help/replies are appreciated.

(current computer specs)
Windows XP SP3
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto 3.1GHz
ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)
Antec 850W PS
NVIDIA Geforce 8600GT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

They are only pointing out that it can be overclocked, not that you need to.

Just for the record, overclocking can shorten the life of the device being overclocked. Manufacturers like HP, Dell... lock their BIOS so that their computers can't be overclocked because of the possibility of causing failures.

Obviously this is a decision that you will make for yourself.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sleepieyed

Sleepieyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

"dc3" Thank you for your reply. I realize I don't have to overclock it. I would like to because my current ram speed is hindering my ability to work.

Is there a way to not overclock my MB but set the ram timing more quickly?

Also, could I change the single channel to dual channel without overclocking?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

If the two Kingston modules that are installed are matched (same make and model) then you are running in dual channel by default.

You can increase the amount of RAM and increase your performance. But you have a limitation of the amount of RAM that your operating system will recognize because of the 32-bit operating system. The Address Space in the operating system is 4GB, and out of this space there are other devices that use this space as well. This typically means that the amount of RAM that will be recognized afterward will be between 3.3GB and 3.5GB.

You could add two more of the same modules for a total of 4GB of RAM, it won't be a problem if the operating system doesn't recognize the total amount. In or to use the two modules and add more RAM you will need to add another pair in order to run dual channel.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Sleepieyed

Sleepieyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Thank you "dc3" for the quick reply. Your posts have been deposited on the top of the memory banks :thumbsup:

One more question, I think. In my bios in ram timings, It gives me the option to run 800mhz 1333mhz 1600mhz. Can I run in 1600mhz and not blow anything up. I know I am currently running in 1333mhz

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

I will defer to another member to make suggestions as my knowledge of overclocking is limited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users