Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a new PC..!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 G-Force

G-Force

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

Hey guys I was thinking of buying a new PC but I decided to build it myself instead. :thumbsup:

I basically need it for watching movies, playing games, programming, editing movies and photos. I generally play games such as COD, DoTA, FIFA 2010, Assassins creed, NFS shift etc. I make use of Photoshop a lot. So a PC which runs all the above mentioned programs smoothly is what I really want. I have thought of a configuration and I need you guys to make some suggestions and help me out. I also plan to overclock my CPU.

Anyway here's the build that I've thought of :

Processor :: Intel® Core™ i5-750
I am having trouble deciding between Core™ i5-750 and Core™ i5-670. Which processor do you think would be perfect for my needs? I am going with the 750 since it is a Quad core processor.

Motherboard :: Since I plan to overclock my CPU, I guess Intel motherboards are out of the question.
A decent ASUS motherboard which supports software overclocking would do. My budget is around 250$.

Hard Drive :: Seagate Barracuda® 3.5-Inch Desktop Hard Drive (1 TB)

Video Card :: I need a card which allows me to play the above mentioned games at decent graphics, if not at the optimum level.
I am a little confused here. I had finalized the Nvidia 9800GT (1 GB) , but I am having second thoughts about it. I've read that it has very poor performance.
Again my budget is around 160 $. I know it's not much but I am hoping I would find a good one eventually.

Cabinet :: I loved this i-Ball case called Bullets ( http://iball.co.in/Product.aspx?c=5 ). It's a bit costly but I guess I can put in that much.

Memory :: Kingston DDR3 4 GB x 2

This is all that I've thought about as of now. Write in your suggestions. Thanks !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:26 AM

I assume you are in the U.S. where Newegg ships, here's an idea:

Case: COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - This is a mid-ATX case. Be careful with selecting cases as shipping can get expensive. $49

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - This is a basic motherboard using AMD's new 8 series chipset. This chipset allows for USB 3.0 and SATA 6 along with AM3 CPU's and DDR3. Both AMD and Intel are going to be releasing new CPU's next year on different platforms. AMD's upcoming AM3+ CPU's will not work in this motherboard due to their radical new design. If you want to squeeze every last frame per second out of your graphics card, you can get the ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX which will offer a slightly increased framerate while in Crossfire. Overclocking is usually best done from within the BIOS of the motherboard and having an unlocked CPU will make it ridiculously easy. $99 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Graphics Card: HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 - This is a mid-range graphics card that will handle most of the programs thrown at it well. But, it is still mid range. The 9800 GT is old and should be avoided if at all possible. If you want to continue up the price, and performance, scale, there are more options, such as the MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5830 1GB, GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB, and the HIS H587FN1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB. $129 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W - This is probably overkill for this setup, but if you want to get a very powerful graphics card or use Crossfire you will have the needed power. $69 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz - This is a decent quad core CPU. The Phenom II X4 965 is more expensive and is only slightly faster than this. Since this CPU is Black Edition, the multiplier is unlocked allowing for easy overclocking. This CPU can equal i5 750 in terms of performance at 1920 x 1200 resolutions. This is because at real-world testing and usage in games, the graphics card is often the limiting factor. There are some games, like Crysis and Final Fantasy XIV, which use both the CPU and GPU and are bound more tightly by them both, though, the differences between most i5's and the Phenom II X4's are still minor. If you are going to be doing any rendering, a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz might be more beneficial. That is a six core CPU and only progams that can take advantage of all six cores will see a significant improvement over a 955. These can include renderers and scientific applications which love the extra cores. AMD will be releasing the new AM3+ platform next year. Those CPU's are incompatible with AM3 motherboards, however, AM3 CPU's will work in AM3+ motherboards. $154

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - This motherboard takes DDR3 memory and this is a single 4GB stick of it. Your motherboard allows for four sticks to be used, so you can get really high RAM amounts. $89

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB - This is plenty for most users. I don't suggest putting everything on a single 1TB drive. A drive of that size should really be used for data only, not holding the OS and applications. $69

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C - A simple, basic optical drive. $16

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need an OS to run the machine. You also need a 64-bit operating system to run 4GB or more of RAM. $99

Grand Total: $791

Edited by DJBPace07, 11 September 2010 - 03:28 AM.

3939.png

#3 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-023-_-Product

just another case to look at...its $10 cheaper and i think a better case than the cool master...just my opinion good luck with build!

p.s just to back him up the 955 black edition is great!! i use it have had no problems at all and love it...i upgraded but the stock cooler is surprisingly very good and unless u plan on overclocking (and even then can is good unless u go to high up there) can keep it nice and cool

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

A side note on overclocking.

Almost all retail manufacturers lock their BIOS so that the owner can't overclock the computer. Why do they do this? Because it can greatly reduce the lifespan of the computer.

I realize that the BIOS is not locked on the motherboard that you intend using. But wanted you to be aware that there are certain trade offs to overclocking.

You may wish to wait and see how the computer performs before looking into overclocking. This looks like it will be a fast machine. And with the 64-bit operating system you can always add more RAM to speed it up.

Just a thought...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

Indeed, some motherboards are locked to prevent overclocking, but many motherboards are not locked, especially if they are geared towards gamers. I usually stay away from overclocking since, by the time I get around to it, a new processor is out which would increase performance significantly and the gains from OC'ing may not.

3939.png

#6 G-Force

G-Force
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hey thanks guys for helping out. :thumbsup:
I am sorry it took so long for me to reply.

@ DJBPace07:
Actually I live in India and it will take ages for the shipment from Newegg to arrive :-P. So shipping is out of the question. The build that you have suggested sounds very promising and economical at the same time. The problem however, is the availability of most of the products that you've mentioned. Especially the motherboard, since ASUS, Intel and Gigabyte are most preferred brands here when it comes down to buying motherboards. So shop owners or the dealers don't generally keep boards of other brands and like I've mentioned earlier, shipping generally takes a lot of time.

The Radeon 5770 sounds good and fits in my price range too. So I would most probably buy it.

The AMD Phenom II X4 955 feels like a good choice but again, a lot depends on the availability of the motherboard. I find the Intel Core i5-760 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067) a decent one too. What do you think about it?
And as far as overclocking is concerned, it is NOT a major criteria and it is something that I can live without.

I was wondering whether a 1 TB hard disk would affect the performance of my build?

No problems with the RAM, Optical drive, OS etc.

@Blaze413:
The cases that you guys have suggested are not bad, but I've got a soft spot :huh: for the one that I have mentioned above. And the amazing thing is that I can get it at a discounted price of 51$. Not bad right! Or are you suggesting other models due to any compatibility issues?

@dc3:
Like I've mentioned above, overclocking is not a must for me. I just don't want my PC to get sluggish after a year or so, and I was hoping I could over clock it in that case.
Thanks for your input though.

I'll check the availability of all the products once again. But if things don't work out, how would the alternatives that I've provided fare?
Thanks again for your precious time guys!! :huh:

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

You have "Nothing Selected" for your country in your user profile here on Bleeping Computer, I assumed you were a U.S. customer with access to Newegg and TigerDirect which doesn't ship to India. You should be able to find an AMD 870 chipset motherboard from just about any manufacturer in India regardless, same with the CPU. Any AMD 700 series or greater motherboard will take that CPU so you still have plenty of options. Under real-world gaming conditions, the i5 750 runs at about the same speed as the Phenom II X4 955, but at $50 more. Using a 1TB drive as your primary drive is not a good idea for data redundancy issues, it shouldn't cause much of a slowdown with performance.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users