Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer case change suggestions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zetrocell

Zetrocell

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:38 PM

Hello everyone, I would like to get recommendations for a replacement PC case (ATX, mid tower), the one I currently have is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...8-029-_-Product

It does not have very good air flow, I need a replacement within $50 to $70 (US dollars).

I game and my evga geforce gts 250 512mb is not getting enough ventilation.

I would like the PSU to be on top of the case preferably, and the case to have good ventilation, specially for the GPU.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:02 PM

the case I am currently using (and have used it in a friends computer as well) is the CM 690 I absolutly love it, has great cooling, easy installation, good cable management, and plenty of room inside for future upgrades, and looks pretty cool, especially paired with this side panel, which I also have on my system. Im running a dual core setup with a ATI 3870 x2, which is a very hot running video card, (and is nearly 11 inches long to boot) and have absolutly no cooling issues at all. Other variants on this case include this and this though its currently out of stock. I have a friend who has this and is very happy with it though its rather expensive. My recomendation would be to go with the cm 690, it has truckloads of features, almost enough room to be a full ATX, without being a full atx, at an affordable price. very good price to features balance, in fact excelent. Only negative, is that while it is technically a mid atx case, it is barely a mid atx case, its rather large and heavy, not something you want to move around a lot. Though, to go along with that, its also built like a tank, very hard to damage it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

I just noticed you wanted the PSU on top of the case, and all the cases I suggested have a bottom mounted PSU, which, while you may not, I like that feature, at least in these cases, instead of drawing warm air from inside the case and trying to cool the PSU off with already warmed air, the PSU is drawing fresh air in from the bottom and not the already warmed air, and the cases, like the cm 690, have enough fans and fan mounts to easily replace any benefit a top mounted PSU has as far as sucking hot air out of the case. But again, its up to you.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#4 Zetrocell

Zetrocell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

Thank you for the suggestions, I do not have much computer knowledge. Would it be problematic to connect the PSU cables from the bottom as I just tried to keep it from the top as my current set up.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

not at all, in fact I find it easier because the extra cables hang down out of my way while I connect the ones I need, and then, at least with the cm 690 I can shove the extra cables behind the motherboard tray between the tray and the back side of the case. I find cable management is far easier with a bottom mounted PSU, at least with the Coolermaster cases, then with a top mounted, and that combined with the better cooling, are 2 good reasons why I prefer bottom mounted power supplies, and these cases in particular-I speak from experience-I have built two computers with the CM 690 (mine and a friends) and the more expensive one I recomended I have a friend who uses it.

picard5.jpg

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

I just noticed you wanted the PSU on top of the case, and all the cases I suggested have a bottom mounted PSU, which, while you may not, I like that feature, at least in these cases, instead of drawing warm air from inside the case and trying to cool the PSU off with already warmed air, the PSU is drawing fresh air in from the bottom and not the already warmed air, and the cases, like the cm 690, have enough fans and fan mounts to easily replace any benefit a top mounted PSU has as far as sucking hot air out of the case. But again, its up to you.

Hmmm? I like this idea of having the PSU at the bottom, instead of the top!

Your theory is correct, heat rises and it seems like someone was thinking when they built this tower with the PSU mounted at the bottom. :thumbsup:

I also like the mesh design and the idea of the blue led cooling fan on the side.

Very good suggestions if I do say so myself.

You almost have me sold on this T_P09! :huh:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

well, Like I said, its a good case, I have used 2 of these cm 690s-one for a customer with a quad core build, and one, that I use for mine. For mine I put a different side panel with a acryllic window, it takes away one of my fan mounts but it doesnt seem to have affected my cooling-and I have a dual GPU video card. Its priced like a good medium quality mid ATX case, but gives you most of the features and reliability of a high end full ATX case. I love it. :D

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users