Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick question.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skatr4u

skatr4u

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

Ok i wanna install xp on my D drive because it has lots more space. The D drive i want xp on i just formated so its ready to go. But I want to format my C drive and then install xp pro on my D drive. But when i boot with my installation diisk when i Sellect the option to format after its done formatting it will start to install xp files on that hard drive. I have a usb drive with the files to allow me to boot my laptop so i can boot from my disc.
So i was thinking that i should format the drive and When its done turn off my computer. So then i would have 2 formatted hard drives. Then plug in my usb and put the windows disk in and continue to install xp on the desired drive. What do you guys think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:28 AM

Let me see if I have this right. You want to boot from an external USB drive?

The first thing you have to determine is whether your BIOS supports booting from and external USB connected hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

Ok, let's say you have the following drives:

C: ~ 5GB
D: ~ 25GB

Given that you are ready to format both drives, you can simply delete these partitions using the Windows Setup (Win OS Disc) and create new ones, allocating necessary disk space for both.

C: ~ 20GB
D: ~ 10GB

This way, you get to retain C: as your primary drive and proceed to install Windows onto the same. :thumbsup:

The first thing you have to determine is whether your BIOS supports booting from and external USB connected hdd.

Yes, please verify this before you proceed.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users