Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall Java or Install New Java

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lethargic

lethargic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

I have a Windows XP computer that started having Java problems. We tried to uninstall it and install a new one but can't do either one.

The computer currently has both Java 1.6.0.16 and 1.6.0.18 on it.

Whenever I try to uninstall 16 it says 'The feature you are trying to install is on a Network Resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package jre1.6.0_13-c.msi'

Whenever I try to uninstall 18 it says the same but says jre1.6.0_17-s.msi can't be found.

I've searched the computer for these files and they are nowhere.

So I tried to install a new version without getting rid of the old and neither Java's online or offline installers will work. They give me several different errors. Once it said Error 1714. 'The older version of Java 6 Update 16 cannot be removed.' and once it even gave me the exact same error from above, once it said bin\awt.dll could not be found and it always adds in Error 1722 'There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the set up did not finish as expected'

I tried deleting Java manually and then reinstalling and that didn't help either so I just moved everything back the way it was.

Searching google found a bunch of people saying to use the Windows Installer Cleanup to remove the old Java but that program is no longer offered by Microsoft. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...p-Utility.shtml

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users