Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A couple of Windows 7 64 bit related problems and fixes.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ikis

ikis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

Please note I have entered this in the hello section as well but thought it may help others who have had these issues themselves. Hope they work . Take care and "Thanks for all the fish" ( hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy)

I have been a member for a long time but was reminded that I have never introduced myself. So............. Hello and thanks for the great site. One of the few that answers questions and does gladly. So many sites berate or make one to feel like they are not quite deserving of their attention. Not so here and that is a great thing.

I promised a couple of fixes. For those that have had serious issues or just have been unable to use Flash because of incompatibilities with windows 7 64 bit OS they have finally fixed the problem. Go to Adobe and support enter " not able to use flash, installs but nothing happens, using Windows 7 64 bit" or something close to this question. First note that you must be using a 32 bit browser. IE and Firefox ( which is what I use exclusively), are the two man culprits. If you try to use a 64 bit browser than you are out of luck because as of this writing there is not fix for this. Take note. Adobe has had about two years to fix this and this is the first Flash file written to directly address the issue. Talk about lightning response, NOT!. Fact is that this file works great except there are some extraneous programs that will not work but they are few. When and if you go to Utube videos, now owned by Google and you can tell by the way that they have censored videos, but that is another problem all together. But I digress. Utube uses Quicktime to play it's videos because of the Flash problem but it works great. Remember when you go to apple unless you want to have Itunes taking over your computer make sure you use the box with the checkmark to not install Itunes. Works great and no advertisements. Personal note; if you do not want the Apple start up to check for new versions and God knows what else than use the Windows utility msconfig.exe to remove it from the start up menu. Just use the run command to enter the file name and it opens pop up which allows you to remove the check-mark It asks if you want to reboot.

Now to number two and it is a number two when it comes to sound problems with, you guessed it, Windows 7 64 bit OS. There are postings all over the Net about crackling, hissing, cut outs and just terrible sound using Creative X-fi and some other cards but especially the Creative cards. Again we have a company so large that it is staggering but even though they had two years to fix this problem with a program or other means they did not and of course you have to push really hard before they will even admit their precious cards have big problems. Frankly I am looking for another company to buy from when I put together my next rig. Just have to be sure they do not use creative software. Turtle Beach or whatever. Is the Turtle Beach still even making cards?

Anyway, found this on a site whilst doing my usual Google and any other search engine you could think of and I found this post that makes short work of the problem. One caveat, if you have over 4 gigs of ram this may not work for you because in the end it is a memory issue that is tripping the card up. I will post it as quoted below. Take note you will lose some ram but if you want a fix until Creative gets off it's collective butts, ( yeah right that's about to happen) than this is the only way I have found in 6 months of constant searching that works.
Here ya go.

Symptoms:

Constant crackling and popping in the sound. When trying to play a music file, it will often stop working after a few seconds of making all sorts of horrible noises.

Cause:

Creative Labs are unfamilliar with the fact that a lot of people use a 64 bit O/S with 4 GB RAM on nForce Mobos (maybe occurs on other chips too?). There is a problem with the address space when the maximum addressable memory is over 4 GB.

Fix:

- Start msconfig, go to the advanced boot options and set max mem to 4096. You will lose a load of memory and get a performance hit, but this is the only thing that seems to work reliably.

- The alternative is to disable the sound card in the device manager and to enable it again once the computer is started up and running. When I play the Half-Life 2 cinematic mod for example, I really need the use of all 4 GB of my RAM, so this is what I do and I haven't had any issues. The sound works fine until I quit the game and run another application. Then I have to disable the card in the device manager again and restart the computer again and start over to get sound back. Sometimes it just seems to start working again on its own. It's terribly unreliable, but it's the only way to use 4 GB and the X-Fi

- Don't expect any help from Creative. I have tried all the drivers I can find to no avail. Everyone hails Daniel_K's modded drivers (the X-FI Support Pack 2.0) but this didn't make any difference for me and as far as I can see, the drivers are not actually modded at all anyway.

Hopefully someone will come up with something better
.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/sty...fault/dance.gif

My System SpecsSystem Spec

So thanks for letting me use this great site. I hope that the fixes help out someone. I know that made me smile.
ikis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

Interesting article you posted, I want to take the time to say thank you for taking the time to post this information.

I also want to take the time to say thank you for being a dedicated member of Bleepingcomputer family since August 6 2008!

Although I do not have the 64 Bit version of Windows 7 installed, I am sure your suggestions will work for those that do have it installed.

Again, thank you for the time you have taken to post this information.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 WyldCat

WyldCat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hello Ikis,

There is a new Sound Blaster X-Fi series Support Pack 2.5 by Daniel_K that came out on 10/26/11.
I've been searching myself for some answers to getting my creative card working correctly
with Windows 7 and ran across it. I'm not sure as to whether or not it would break the rules by
posting a link to it here. So just to be on the safe side I haven't. If a Moderator were to let
me know that it were OK to post it, then I will.

Problem I've been having is with the Creative Console Launcher > Mixer Window/Menu not showing
correct slider bars. I have installed and uninstalled the various creative drivers/Apps that are
listed for my Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro. (Side Note: Two drivers share the same name:
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series driver 2.18.0015. But if you expand the "details" tab on them
then you'll see that the one for Vista and XP is SBXF_PCDRV_XPVT_LB_2_18_0015.exe - and came out
on 2-16-11. The one for Windows 7 is SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0015.exe - and came out 6-16-10. Why the
newer driver came out for the older operating systems is beyond me, as is the fact that they haven't
updated the Win7 driver? )

When I've uninstalled I've:
:step1: Uninstalled everything Creative in Control Panel > Programs & Features > Uninstall
:step2: Deleted all creative folders (Program files(x86),app data - local and roaming; common files; normal creative folders, etc. that I could find )
:step3: A. Extracted the SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0015.exe with WinRar. Open that folder > Drivers > SBXF > setup.exe to run the Creative Driver Update Utility.
B. Under Update Option check the Driver Uninstallation box.
C. Check the Delete all shared Creative audio driver files box.
D. Click OK.
E. Click Yes to the warning that follows.
F. Click OK to proceed with the uninstallation.
G. Click OK to reboot your system.
H. When system has rebooted, click Cancel when Windows detects new hardware.
( To make SURE this is done correctly check in Device Manager under Sound,video and game controllers. Your SBX-Fi
should NOT be listed anymore. But you should now see "Other Devices" with Multimedia Audio Controller listed in
Device Manager with the exclamation icon next to it. )
:step4: Run Ccleaner - registry cleaner to remove any leftovers ( back up reg just in case )
:step5: Re-Install the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series 2.18.0015 Win7 driver (SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0015.exe) and Creative Console Launcher 2.61.09 (CSL_PCAPP_LB_2_61_09.exe)

The Creative Console Launcher 2.61.09 is listed as being for XP and Vista. And when I have installed it I have tried both XP & Vista compatibility during and after installation. Neither way has worked.
There is a Creative Console Launcher 2.61.49 listed for XP, Vista & 7, but it is a BETA. And Creative warns you to...
"Take note of the following:

THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED BETA APPLICATION. There is no technical support for this application.
We recommend that only experienced users install this application. Do not install this application on a system used to perform critical tasks.
Users who are looking for stable applications should wait for the final release. When this happens, user should install the latest Creative Console Launcher application available. "
This beta came out on 8-5-10. How long do they want us to "wait for the final release"? :angry: I'm half tempted to try the Creative Console Launcher 2.61.35
that came out for the Titanium series of cards to see if that works or not. If I do, and it does, I will post my results back here.

After having said all that, my question is this: Should I try using Driver Sweeper 3.2 instead of manually deleting
the files and registry entries as I have been doing?
The reason I ask is I have read that Driver Sweeper removes some
entries in the registry that it shouldn't pertaining to Creative. Or is this information incorrect, i.e. it pertained
to an older version of Driver Sweeper and NOT the newest version? :blink:

Any information/answers you, or anyone else, would care to share on this would be greatly appreciated :thumbup2:
( I did a search on Windows 7 & Creative. This seemed like the most appropriate place to post. If I have posted
in the wrong place, my apologies, and please feel free to move it. Thanks! )
“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” ~ Albert Einstein

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." ~ Plato

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.”~ George Bernard Shaw

"To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father’s has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association—the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." ~ James Madison

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." ~ Samuel Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users