Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2000 stopped working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robinofboise

robinofboise

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

The Problem: I installed a trial version of Office 2007 and found out later that it may affect Outlook. It did and so I have been stuck with Outlook Express since.

What I Have Tried: I have tried several things - 1) Tried to open from the Run by using outlook / safe, 2) replaced the outcmd.dat and another file that I can not remember the name, 3) replaced the Outlook.exe with a backup .exe, and 4) have done a repair through the Add/Remove Program and nothing has corrected the problem.

How the Program Acts: I try to open the program and I see the Inbox for a few seconds then it closes and give an error message - encountered a problem and has to close. I send the error message to MS but have not heard back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Could you please clarify if your intent was to revert back to Outlook 2000 or continue using the 2007 trial and which version of Outlook is currently not working.

I assume that you did not uninstall the old versions prior to installing the newer

Thanks
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:33 AM

Don't worry over there. My outlook's been tanking a lot too.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 robinofboise

robinofboise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

To Clarify: I only tried 2007 to see if it was what I wanted to switch to. I want to stay with my 2000 and use the Outlook from the 2000 version. I did not uninstall my 2000 version prior to using the 2007 trial version. I have tried to repair my 2000 version but with no success. Do you think I should uninstall all of the Office 2000 and do a complete re-install or is there a way to find a corrupted file and repair that file?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

This is what I would try:

Backup your outlook.pst file onto a jump drive or copy it to another location on your computer
Outlook backup tutorial
Uninstall ALL of Office 2007 and reboot, even if not prompted to do so
Uninstall ALL of Office 2000 and reboot again
Reistall Office 2000
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users