Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skatr4u

skatr4u

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

Ok i just installed xp onto a vista computer no problem got the correct drivers and everything. But i did it i think it somehow like swapped my harddrives. Like my C: drive had 70 gb total and my d: drive had 8 gb total. But now its switched around and windows is on my c drive With hardly any space left. So how would i go about transfering everything to my d drive. Just cut and paste? Also when i do this when i download something would it still go to the c drive or will it go to the d drive. Thats where i want it because it has more space.

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2010 - 07:57 PM.
Merged topics ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

Looks like you installed vista to the wrong partition.

You have a few options:

A) Run stetup again, this time make sure you install it to the 70 gig partition and not the 8 gig

:thumbsup: Get a copy of a partition editor that runs from a live CD - such as GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php and use it to shrink the 70gb down to a size of it's free space + 1GB or so, and then expand the smaller partition out to fill up the newly freed space. This is messy, and if you screw something up you may lose all your data.

C) Back up everything you need, delete both partitions, and install vista to the empty space - it'll partition it correctly.

Do you care about the data on this drive? Is there anything on it you actually need?

#3 skatr4u

skatr4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Naaw theres really nothing i need because i just restored it earlier this morning so i guess ill do that again. Thanx

#4 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

Restored from what? I mean, you have a backup other than this hard drive, right?

#5 skatr4u

skatr4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

I have a disc with windows on it.

#6 skatr4u

skatr4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

ok i tried installing windows on the other hard drive and when i turned on my computer it say to check boot order. so i shutdow and went into bios settings and there was nothing about selecting which hard drive to boot from in boot options. so i had to format and put windows back on the 8 gb hd. Any other suggestions??

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#8 skatr4u

skatr4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

Its a compaq presario F500. ok i got everything sorted out but i have the same os on both hard drives. My computer is booting from my 8 gb hard drive. I want it to boot from the other hard drive witch is 70 gb. How would i go about doing that

#9 skatr4u

skatr4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

I want to install windows xp pro on a second hard drive. And make sure it is bootable. The harddrive its on right now is only 8 gb and it only has about 800 mb of free space. The other hard drive is 70 gb. Should i just install windows on My second drive and edit the boot file?at
Also what type of format should i do to my larger hard drive. Fat or ntsf?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users