Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing 3 licence MS Office on new laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bradders

bradders

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

Hi all and I would appreciate a little help if possible.
It may look like a simple problem but my difficulty is when it comes to activation of the product.
A 60 day/ 1 user licence came pre-installed on my new laptop and I was already in possession of a genuine 3 licence MS Office Home and Student, to which I obviously wanted to use.
I un-installed this and all other associated programs and also cleaned the registry with Norton utilities.
I then installed the program from my disc and tried to activate, which failed, explaining that the program had been used more times than the code allows.
I accepted this as all 3 have been used but I know that this is not a problem because I installed this onto the machine which has recently deceased, which this replaces. The Laptop which died itself replaced another problem laptop which was wiped and returned to the manafacturer.
I think the problems lies with the fact that the miscrosoft software activation telephone line that I was directed to on my computer, asked for my details (by way of the code on my laptop) and explained that this program is only for 1 user licence, hence I believe that there are reminants of the original trial version on my laptop and hence the activation code doesnt work.
I hope I have explained this without being too confusing and was wondering if anyone had encountered this problem before, as I am guessing that it must be quite a common problem with new purchases.
I would be so appreciative if anyone could point me in the right direction or if anyone has any ideas.
Please note that I am not that experienced in computer matters, ie playing about with the BIOS etc., but I am confident enough to do things if explained.
Thanks all and looking forward, hopefully, for some ideas.
Best regards bradders

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi all and I would appreciate a little help if possible.
It may look like a simple problem but my difficulty is when it comes to activation of the product.
A 60 day/ 1 user licence came pre-installed on my new laptop and I was already in possession of a genuine 3 licence MS Office Home and Student, to which I obviously wanted to use.
I un-installed this and all other associated programs and also cleaned the registry with Norton utilities.
I then installed the program from my disc and tried to activate, which failed, explaining that the program had been used more times than the code allows.
I accepted this as all 3 have been used but I know that this is not a problem because I installed this onto the machine which has recently deceased, which this replaces. The Laptop which died itself replaced another problem laptop which was wiped and returned to the manafacturer.
I think the problems lies with the fact that the miscrosoft software activation telephone line that I was directed to on my computer, asked for my details (by way of the code on my laptop) and explained that this program is only for 1 user licence, hence I believe that there are reminants of the original trial version on my laptop and hence the activation code doesnt work.
I hope I have explained this without being too confusing and was wondering if anyone had encountered this problem before, as I am guessing that it must be quite a common problem with new purchases.
I would be so appreciative if anyone could point me in the right direction or if anyone has any ideas.
Please note that I am not that experienced in computer matters, ie playing about with the BIOS etc., but I am confident enough to do things if explained.
Thanks all and looking forward, hopefully, for some ideas.
Best regards bradders

When you called the telephone activation, did you speak with a human or just the computer? If it was just the computer, hit 0 until you get to speak with someone and explain what is happening.

I don't think it is necessarily a problem of the old copy of office still existing, but maybe a malfunctioning telephone activation wizard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users