Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp running slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#16 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:49 AM

Hi,

let's assume that that is the case then. I would still like you to remove the Adobe Acrobat you have because software that outdated is a huge security issue. You can download the reader for free vom Adobe:

Your version of Adobe Reader is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Adobe components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Adobe Reader Version 9.3. and save it to your desktop.
  • Uncheck the "Free McAfee Security plan Plus" option or any other Toolbar you are offered
  • Click the download button at the bottom.
  • If you use Internet Explorer and do not wish to install the ActiveX element, simply click on the click here to download link on the next page.
  • Remove all older version of Adobe Reader: Go to Add/remove and uninstall all versions of Adobe Reader, Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat.
    If you are unsure of how to use Add or Remove Programs, the please see this tutorial:How To Remove An Installed Program From Your Computer
  • Then from your desktop double-click on Adobe Reader to install the newest version.
    If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • When the "Adobe Setup - Welcome" window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.
  • Once the installation is finished, open Adobe Reader and accept the warranty if prompted.
  • Click on Help and select Check for Updates.
  • A window will open and Adobe will check for Updates. If any updates are found to be available click on Download.
  • Once the update is downloaded you will get a system notification telling you so. Click on the popup to restore the window.
  • In the window that opens click Install.
  • Once the update is done click Close.
Your Adobe Reader is now up to date!

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "JDK 6 Update 20 (JDK or JRE)"
  • Click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Under Required Files, check the box for Windows Offline Installation, click the link below it and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u20-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
-- If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
-- If you choose to update via the Java applet in Control Panel, uncheck the option to install the Toolbar unless you want it.
-- The uninstaller incorporated in this release removes previous Updates 10 and above, but does not remove older versions, so they still need to be removed manually.

Note: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click Ok and reboot your computer.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 ortley15

ortley15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

good morning.

ok, i deleted adobe and d/l'ed the new one. with the java, the site is down. i will go there in a little while. i am going to restart computer and see what that does.

thanks again in advance.

j-a

#18 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hi,

java should be back up, please let me know if you get offered update 21 or 22.

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#19 ortley15

ortley15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

hi

looks like they changed their site. yes, i was offered update 21. i just ran it. seems like the computer is running the same way, slow. on my startup, can i take off the java update? i took off adobe on startup.

thanks again.

#20 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi,

please try this utility to see if there are further unnecessary startup items:

Download and Run StartupLite
This program will identify and give you the option to remove uneeded startup items to free memory.
  • Download StartupLite.exe by MalwareBytes to your desktop.
  • Double click the icon to start the program. If you are using Windows Vista, right click the icon and select Run As Administrator.
  • A list of uneeded startup entries will be compiled. Leave all the items as Disabled and click Continue.
  • Restart your computer.

If you disable the java updated please remember to check for updates manually from time to time.

regards myrti

#21 ortley15

ortley15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

myrti,

good morning. i ran that startup program and the only thing it told me to disable was java. i only have 4 things on startup. they are:

E_Fatiaea (epson printer)
TeaTimer (spybot)
Ctfmon (microsoft word)
HPaoDevice (HP printer)

i use both printers. do i need them to be running in the background?

and the Ctfmon, do i really need it on start up? not sure what "Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and also the Microsoft Language Bar" really is and if it is really needed.

and computer still runs slow. maybe it is just old and tired. let me know if it is a lost cause.

thanks again for all you help.

j-a

#22 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hi,

your printer should run fine without those items, they usually are system trays that simplifies access to certain settings. ctfmon.exe is a real challenge. You can disable it know, but it will get reenabled the next time you launch an office application. I am not sure there is a real way of disabling it.

You could try to run chkdsk and sfc to make sure that all windows files are healthy. This can cause slow downs as well.

regards myrti

#23 ortley15

ortley15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

good morning,

i took off three startup items, i only left on the search and destroy, spybot. i will run the puter today and see what happens. i will let you know tomorrow.

thanks again for all you help.

j-a

#24 ortley15

ortley15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

hi

well, my computer is still running very slow. maybe it is just the computer now. let me know what you think.

thanks again

j-a

#25 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:50 AM

Hi,

you could check out these topics abd see if it applies to your computer problem with being slow to respond.
Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware
What to do if your Computer is running slowly
Help! My computer is slow!
50 Tips for a Super Fast PC
4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance
It's not always malware: How to fix the top 10 Internet Explorer issues

I am pretty confident that this is not related to malware. What is causing the slowness is a more complicated question.

You could boot into diagnostic mode and see if the PC is quicker. If so you know that one of the programs you use are slowing it down. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/en-us

regards myrti

#26 ortley15

ortley15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

myrti,

thank you so much for all your time. i will give those articles a read and see what happens, then i will try that diagnostic mode and see what happens.

thanks again. it will take me a few days to accomplish all of that. if they do not work, then i will just give up and work with it the way it is.

if you want to close this, you can. thank you again.

j-a

#27 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:36 AM

Hi,

if this does not help I would suggest posting in the windows forums. If it is a software issue they may be able to find the cause.

regards myrti

#28 ortley15

ortley15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

thank you again. i have started doing those article procedures.

sincerely,

jo-ann

#29 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:29 AM

As it has gone stale, this topic is now Closed

If you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM.
Please include the address of this thread in your request.
This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please start a new topic.

With Regards,
myrti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users