Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel driver problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasDG

ThomasDG

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

I have a sony vaio vgn-fw200 running windows 7. I have attempted to update my graphics card for two days in a row. The computer attempts to install the Intel Corporation - Display- Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family that was released on 7/2/2010. Upon doing this my computer look as if it completes the install and then the screen goes blank. The computer is still running, but has no display. It is not as if it is projecting a black screen, instead has no projection at all. I let the computer continue to run for about 5 minutes, but no screen come up. I attempt to restart the computer, but it never loads up. The only way the computer will come up is by running in safe mode. I then have to do a system restore to before I installed the update to get my computer to run under normal mode again. I have been through this two different times. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You have apparently installed the wrong driver.

This can happen sometimes, although the driver may look like it is for your video card, it may not be the correct one.

The result is often a computer that boots to no video.

Uninstall this driver and reboot the computer, if it boots up you know you had the wrong driver.

I want to add people make a common mistake of downloading drivers from driver web sites, these drivers are not always the correct ones. Been there, done that, with driver detective and such other driver search programs.

You have to make sure you only download and install the hardware's official recommended drivers.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ThomasDG

ThomasDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

This was the driver that windows update says is the correct one. Also, if I go through manage and tell it to automatically find update, windows also finds this one. I did not manually find these, they were all suggested by windows.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Windows update is great for windows related patches to their operating systems.

But they do not always offer the best drivers.

You are better off going to the Sony web site for your driver downloads.

Choose your computer's model number under support and it should offer you a list of drivers recommended for your computer and its hardware.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 September 2010 - 01:15 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users