Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My email account was accessed from China.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 orcheon

orcheon

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

This email account also happens to be tied to my battle.net(a popular video game network, similar to Xbox live), which leads me to believe a keylogger has been placed on my computer--it's not too uncommon an occurrence with this game(World of Warcraft). I have an authenticator(similar to an RSA token) purchased from them, so my video game account has not been compromised--however, I received a warning from gmail that my account has been accessed from China 3 days ago.

I'm not really worried about the video game account as much as I am my bank/checking accounts.

I imagine the safest course of action is a full hard drive wipe, just to make sure. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:18 AM

Well, I'd run scans of your computer before you do anything as drastic as wiping you hdd.
What anti-malware products do you have installed?

#3 orcheon

orcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

Ad-Aware and Hijackthis. I've used both in the past fairly extensively.

A Smart Scan from Ad-Aware turned up nothing but some cookies. I'm running a full scan now.

I can also post a HJT log if necessary, though I refrain from doing so as per the directions of the board.

I was sort of planning on doing a full system wipe anyway, as i've just ordered a new graphics card and I haven't done one in over a year now.

Edited by orcheon, 09 September 2010 - 01:06 PM.

#4 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

I had stopped using Ad-Aware a while ago (no reason) but I'm sure it's still a pretty good program.

I'd look into a program called KeyScrambler: http://www.qfxsoftware.com/
It is also at addons.mozilla.org

The free version protects your keystrokes in Firefox only, pay version (which I'm using protects everything from Windows Logon to notepad++ and skype)

I'd reccomend
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti...4-10804572.html
and
AVG Anti Virus Free: http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fr...4-10320142.html

Do full scans with each of these.

EDIT:
If these show nothing, and you are still concerned, you can burn a live CD of a Linux distro (I prefer Ubuntu). Besides not being able to run .exe files, it bypasses the Windows part of your HDD and runs in the RAM.
You should be able to manage bank accounts from that with relative saftey.

Edited by maki2012, 09 September 2010 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users