Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External drives are not being shown as icons when i plug them in

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 karlfran

karlfran

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hi all

I am running Vista (latest upgrades installed) an HP laptop.

Everything has been fine until recently.

Problem

First my ethernet cable connected network HD stopped being shown. I used this to transfer large files from my laptop into archive.

So I tried to plug in my (tested and working) USB Mass Storage device. The laptop recognises I have plugged in a device, recognises the brand and type and gives me the icon to safely remove the hardware.

However, the drive icon is missing completely - it does not show under My Computer. This means I cant save or read onto the disk.

Solutions tried

I checked the drivers for the USB drive - i can see them under properties and have re-installed them. This didnt fix the problem

Under My Computer, I right clicked Management and tried to re-assign a letter to the drive. The drive is recognised but when I right click on it to re-assign a new letter, the option to assign a drive letter is grayed out.

I tried re-installing chipset drivers and ethernet drivers from the recovery disk

None of this worked

Other factors which may or may not be important

My computer over heated about 3 or 4 times a few weeks ago while it was very hot and shut down suddenly. I wonder if some drivers have been corrupted? The drives were not plugged into the machine when this happened.

Any help you can provide me with will be gratefully received.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users