Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 Email can Save Internet Explorer 6 for Facebook Chat

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 markh14

markh14

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

I recently read a blog post saying Facebook is going to be dropping support for Internet Explorer 6 on September 15th 2010 for Facebook Chat. This is a very bad decision because many people still use IE6, especially those people with slow computers who live in poor countries because some people still only have 128MB of RAM so Internet explorer 6 is the only browser that runs fast so if people had to upgrade to ie7 or ie8 their computer will become un-responsive and Windows 98 and Windows Me only run Internet Explorer 6.
So my suggestion is that if a user is using Internet Explorer 6 after September 15th just present them with the old version of facebook Chat and if users are using IE7 or IE8 then present them with the new version of facebook Chat.

So if anyone would be kind enough to pass this message onto the facebook team by copying and pasting this(you need to be logged into facebook) and sending it to >

http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=ui_chat

Post here once you sent the email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:34 AM

You should use K-Meleon which is a lightweight internet browser using firefox engine. Here is the download link: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/download.php

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:13 PM

Frankly, IE6 needs to die. If more popular websites start deprecating it then maybe people will finally get rid of it. Everyone from web designers to US-CERT to Microsoft agree that using IE6 is a Bad Thing to do.

Like killerx525 suggested: if IE6 is the only version of IE that will run on your machine, then pick a different browser. Chrome, Opera, Firefox, etc. K-Meleon would probably run the fastest, but it's a little spartan in my opinion.

Another option, especially for people still using Windows 98/ME is to ditch Windows altogether and pick up a lightweight Linux distro. There are many modern, full fledged Linux distros that with run very happily in such ancient machines.

Edited by Andrew, 09 October 2010 - 01:15 PM.

#4 Skittler

Skittler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

Frankly, IE6 <i>needs </i>to die. If more popular websites start deprecating it then maybe people will finally get rid of it. Everyone from <a href="http://mashable.com/2009/07/16/ie6-must-die/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">web designers</a> to <a href="http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878#alt_browser" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">US-CERT</a> to <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/16/microsoft_rotten_milk_ie6_upgrade/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Microsoft</a> agree that using IE6 is a Bad Thing to do.

Like killerx525 suggested: if IE6 is the only version of IE that will run on your machine, then pick a different browser. Chrome, Opera, Firefox, etc. K-Meleon would probably run the fastest, but it's a little spartan in my opinion.

Another option, especially for people still using Windows 98/ME is to ditch Windows altogether and pick up a lightweight Linux distro. There are many modern, full fledged Linux distros that with run very happily in such ancient machines.

Yes, but unfortunately not everyone has the money to invest in a newer model computer.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

You don't need a new computer to switch to another browser or to switch operating systems.

#6 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

Frankly, IE6 <i>needs </i>to die.

Agreed...

Nuff said.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

I disagree. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

IE6 is the thorn in the side of any Web Developer on the Internet way to much work has to be put into making sure websites are compatible with IE6 and its crapy rendering of HTML. So yes it does need to die.

#9 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

goose90proof to B. Gates--- Cast it into the recycling bin!

//B. Gates looks fondly at IE6.

goose90proof to B. Gates--- Destroy it!!!

B. Gates to goose90proof--- No...

//B. Gates turns and walks away.

goose90proof to B. Gates--- William!!!
for3ver,
goose90proof

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

goose90proof to B. Gates--- Cast it into the recycling bin!

//B. Gates looks fondly at IE6.

goose90proof to B. Gates--- Destroy it!!!

B. Gates to goose90proof--- No...

//B. Gates turns and walks away.

goose90proof to B. Gates--- William!!!

My precious - Bill Speaking in Gollum Voice.

#11 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

ROFL!!! It's da truff
for3ver,
goose90proof

#12 sdfox 7

sdfox 7

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

IE6 is crap. I use it for MS Update only.

Download Kernel EX (it's free), install Firefox 3, and you are good to go. Firefox 3 WILL run on Win98, is more advanced than IE6 and it will be relevant a whole while longer than 10-year-old IE6.

Chrome won't work under Win98, but with tweaking you may get it to work.

Edited by sdfox 7, 06 March 2011 - 11:24 AM.

IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645-8AU (Win98), T23 2647-4MU (Win2000), T41 2373-7FU (WinXP)
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users