Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe crashing computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ThatGirl

ThatGirl

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

Several times since I've first gotten this used laptop I've logged into a user to find it moving super slow (will hang on the black screen after "welcome", will hang while getting startup applications running(even with bare necessities on))). I inistially assumed it was a corrupted user profile and I would just move to a different user (and move the app data and delete the old one).

This happened again today, so I moved the app data to a new profile. But the new profile had the same problem. I switched accounts once more and had the same issue. So I backed up my Mozilla Firefox + a couple other folders from ...\Appdata\Roaming, saved them on the desktop of my EMERGENCY Admin and deleted all three accounts. Then I made a new account, moved the backed up folders to it (after logging in and setting up the initial folders). But this time it worked!, so I thought. After I got Firefox and Digsby running I started to do some multitasking and I immediatly experienced some hanging. I went to close firefox and Skype (I installed it, closed it, closed it again, closed it. I hate skype). Finally I got rid of skype but the comp was still hanging very badly, and getting worse. Finally the taskbar froze up and I opened the Task Manager.

explorer.exe CPU:47 MEMORY:600,000K+

I managed to get it to end (but of course that makes everything barely usable), I think it may be my wallpapers (I put it to change wallpapers really fast by accident D:) but I haven't had this problem before with the backgrounds like that (I had tried it a few days ago to show off my 400+ walls to some friends).

I'm just totally stumped at what is going on. And if/when I restart explorer.exe I starts low and jump from 2,000K to 10,000K to 400,000K and then hangs between there and 600,000K forcing me to end the program. I don't want to switch accounts again since I can tell this problem wont go away like that.

Also I just need to be able to have the computer *running* for maybe a week, after that I should have my external hard drive and I'm going to reinstall Windows 7 Pro (but right now I have ultimate).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:24 AM

Please disable your start up items and see what happens.

Also event log error messages would be appreciated.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

Good mourning. Some ideas, make sure that the inside of your computer is clean and the fans are working properly because heat can cause this problem. Please post your computer specs. Could you also tell us what you consider ( bare necessities) at start up.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

Good mourning. Some ideas, make sure that the inside of your computer is clean and the fans are working properly because heat can cause this problem. Please post your computer specs. Could you also tell us what you consider ( bare necessities) at start up.

#5 ThatGirl

ThatGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

I'd love to open the laptop and see if its heat (I'm pretty sure it is that too since this is a HP Pavillion dv6000 and it has that wificard/Motherboard issue :huh: ) but I only brought my small screw drivers up with me to college. :huh:

Specs(from DxDiag):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/9/2010, 10:19:32
Machine name: RABBITSFEET
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv6000 (RX945AV)
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53 (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 958MB RAM
Page File: 938MB used, 1555MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

EDIT: O_o; Works fine with no start up programs. (Though it is running steadily at 30,000~40,000K Mem) I'll see if it gets worse.

I never noticed that "Load Startup Items" box before. I always thought you had to pick the start up services manually. >_>

Can I just empty that whole list in services? I only wait Rainmeter to run on start up.

EDIT2: >_> My touchpad's scroll doesn't work now. I know it must be because something isn't running, but after I updated the driver for the 'Synaptics Pointer Device' it still isnt working (its running though). :thumbup2:(

Edited by ThatGirl, 09 September 2010 - 10:18 AM.

#6 ThatGirl

ThatGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Okay so originally I thought that this problem had been resolved however it has reared its ugly head once more. :huh:

Even with start up programs disabled my user profile that loaded fine is now experiencing the black background and hanging on start up. I was using the laptop last night and as explorer.exe began to eat up memory (along with my laptop bottom becoming very warm) I shut it down for the night. Then this morning it was more of the same except I had been turning off/ hibernating my laptop at regular intervals, but after a while it began to get very hot and very loud rather quickly. So now I'm aware that this must be a huge heating issue.

What can I do to fix this for the lowest price possible? (read: is this a project that can be done at home in an afternoon, if so what do I need?)

And one other worry, why is this corrupting user files? O_o are these things independant and they just happen to be happening all at once?

--Thanks for reading.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

Get a can of compressed air and clean all vents well.

When done....

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 ThatGirl

ThatGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

I went to walmart bought new screwdrivers, compressed air and other stuff. I get back and the old screwdriver i had works on all but 4 screws, and the new screwdriver is too big for those 4 screws. -__-; So I cannot open the laptop. I'm gonna ask around for a philips head but it seems I wont be able to dust out this laptop until Monday / Tuesday, most likely Tuesday.

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53 (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz

Processor info, all other info is in the wall of text that is my post before the post before this post. And I installed SpeedFan, it currently reads:

GPU:140F
CORE:97F

But thats because I *just* turned this on after it was off all day. I expect things to get worse later on. Also I notice that in the picture you provided there are fans listed, there are no fans listed for me. :huh: is this bad? I can hear my fan running as I type this but . . .

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hello perhaps I can offer you some tutorial for dismantling your HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop.

On this page I am presenting you with, you should scroll down until you see the model number HP Pavilion dv6000.

This will guide you through the disassembly of your laptop.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/3-compaq-hp-laptops/

Even if any procedure is not specific to your problem, it still shows how to correctly disassemble your laptop and will aid you in re-assembling it again.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:35 AM

But thats because I *just* turned this on after it was off all day. I expect things to get worse later on.

None of the above matters, because your CPU heats up in a matter of seconds. It doesn't need an hour to heat up.

there are no fans listed for me. is this bad?

Not necessary, because sometimes SpeedFan won't read fans, especially since you:

I can hear my fan running

However this:

is definitely not good.
Even for a laptop, it's way too hot!

Maximum temperature for your CPU (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%20TK-53%20-%20AMDTK53HAX4DC.html) is listed at 95C, so you're already over with computer being idle.
Don't use it until the issue is solved.

Have you cleaned those vents yet?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#11 ThatGirl

ThatGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hello perhaps I can offer you some tutorial for dismantling your HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop.

On this page I am presenting you with, you should scroll down until you see the model number HP Pavilion dv6000.

This will guide you through the disassembly of your laptop.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/3-compaq-hp-laptops/

Even if any procedure is not specific to your problem, it still shows how to correctly disassemble your laptop and will aid you in re-assembling it again.

Bruce.

Thank you I'll be sure to use this when I get the new screwdriver! :D

But thats because I *just* turned this on after it was off all day. I expect things to get worse later on.

None of the above matters, because your CPU heats up in a matter of seconds. It doesn't need an hour to heat up.

there are no fans listed for me. is this bad?

Not necessary, because sometimes SpeedFan won't read fans, especially since you:

I can hear my fan running

However this:

is definitely not good.
Even for a laptop, it's way too hot!

Maximum temperature for your CPU (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%20TK-53%20-%20AMDTK53HAX4DC.html) is listed at 95C, so you're already over with computer being idle.
Don't use it until the issue is solved.

Have you cleaned those vents yet?

Well I changed the temp in SpeedFan from C to F, its really only at 50C right now and its been on for an hour and a half, but it got to that temperature pretty quickly since I was dumb and put it on the bed for a few minutes. :huh:

And no I haven't cleaned them yet, my new set of screwdrivers are too big, I'm gonn go check the school bookstore and wind up paying 10$ for a smaller one. :huh: I hate college.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

Well I changed the temp in SpeedFan from C to F

Ooooops, I wasn't reading carefully enough. Sorry for that :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

I notice that your( DX Setup Parameters: Not found). I would Google that and see if something is there. There are many sites so take your time and pick the ones that are related to you equipment and programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users