Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How is my protection?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rewster

Rewster

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

Just wanting to know what other people think about my protection. Is it enough, not enough, or too much? Leave any comments.

I have been sort of going over kill on protecting my computer, since a virus killed my other one. (No longer able to boot, not even into safe mode.) I am scanning the computer at least once a day with every program.

1.SUPERAntiSpyware [Free version]
2.Malwarebytes AntiMalware [Free Version]
3.KeyScrambler [Free Version]
4.Microsoft Security Essentials
5.Norton Antivirus
6.SecuniaPSI
7.Windows Firewall

Any comments?

Edited by Rewster, 08 September 2010 - 11:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:43 AM

Hi Rewster,

You list of protection software looks good, except we recommend you only use 1 AntiVirus program.

The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:
1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
Therefore please go to add/remove in the control panel and remove either Norton AntiVirus or Microsoft Security Essentials.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#3 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:11 AM

I don't really use norton anti virus anymore. The subscription expired and I never found how to remove it.

I will remove norton when I can get my mouse working and can get to the contol panel.

Edited by Rewster, 09 September 2010 - 07:15 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

You may find this handy... Norton Removal Tool
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

Hi Rewster,

It is a good idea to remove Norton if your subscription has expired. Having outdated virus definitions is a bad idea.

Once you remove Norton using the tool boopme has linked to, you can also add one of the following tools below:Both help to warn you of malicious websites and help prevent you from going to malware/fake websites. Please only choose one; I recommend Norton Safe Web.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#6 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

I do use Web of Trust (WOT). It let's users rate a site, and it helps you know which sites are safe or not. (doesn't always work, some malware sites fake A lot of ratings to stay in the green.)

#7 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:55 PM

Yeah that is why I'm not a big fan of WOT, I use Norton Safe Web. But if you prefer WOT that's good to :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

I will remove norton when I can get my mouse working and can get to the contol panel.
You can use your keyboard to remove Norton through the Add or Remove Programs utility. Try it. :thumbsup:
Keys to use: Windows Key (Start) , Tab (Selection), Arrows (Directions), Enter (OK)

Edited by ReviverSoft, 10 September 2010 - 08:06 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#9 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

You can use your keyboard to remove Norton through the Add or Remove Programs utility. Try it. :flowers:
Keys to use: Windows Key (Start) , Tab (Selection), Arrows (Directions), Enter (OK)

yeah.. But I don't like doing that. :thumbsup: It was torture going through all of the files using arrow keys and enter.

Anyways, I had to use system restore to get my mouse and internet working again. I uninstalled Norton.

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

Ah ok, good to hear. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users