Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yuovich

yuovich

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:52 AM

I have a VPR MATRIX 1620 desktop. It has two memory slots. Only one slot was used with a 256k memory module in it. I attempted to install a 512k memory module in the other slot. I installed it upside down! I know......stupid! The computer then started up, but no video. The video monitor light was on, but no signal. I then re-inserted the 512k module the correct way, and still no video. What did I fry? The motherboard or one or possibly two memory modules?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

That's not good.
You're probably getting no video because you have shared video RAM (guessing here) and the system can't find any RAM to use.

I'd take out both the memory modules (after touching the metal case to earth youself) and shine a good light in there to examine the memory sockets - any bent or mangled contacts? If there are you might be able to straighten them with a very small screwdriver blade and/or perhaps seperate them by inserting a piece of paper between touching contacts. Then working only with the undamaged slot try inserting the original memory module. (Without using the hammer this time. :thumbsup: )

If the PC boots well your back to square one but at least your working, you could try replacing that module with the 512MB module and see if you can get half an upgrade but that's up to you.

If the PC doesn't boot then I think it's time for you to order a new motherboard and RAM.

hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users