Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable AVG v8.5.424 completely?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Krashtak

Krashtak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

Very simple... in theory. I want to completely disable all functionality of AVG, i.e.: nothing at all running in the background of my computer.

Things to note:

-I do not wish to uninstall this software as this is a company laptop (that I have used personally and exclusively for over 13 months so it's pretty much "mine"), but I may wish to, or be required to, return it at some point so I would rather not remove any of the original software (out of honor, I guess).

-This software is out of date and out of license... and I do not wish to renew this license. So, it doesn't really do anything, but it insists on running processes that I cannot, for the life of me, stop from running (including force quitting them from the task manager; namely: avgrsx.exe).

-Essentially what I would like is for "Windows Security Manager" to tell me "Virus Protection" is: "OFF," instead of telling me "AVG Anti-Virus Network Edition reports that it is up to date," (a lie/untruth, but that is beside the point), "and virus scanning is on."

Acceptable responses include:

-Helping to achieve this goal.

-An explanation for why, when I tell the program to stop running, (for lack of a more thorough explanation) uncheck every option in the "Tools>Advanced Options..." tab, and tell msconfig.exe to not startup any process or service that I recognize as directly related to avg, it continues to run, at least enough for Windows Security Center to view it as "ON."

-Asking for more information to properly understand my issue/desire.

Unwanted/Unacceptable responses include, but are not limited to:

-Asking why I want to do this. In my opinion, it doesn't matter. I have a question/issue. Either help me or don't. (I assure you I do not intend on doing anything illegal or unethical without this software... I just want it gone, but still installed)

-"Don't turn off virus protection software" ... "or your unborn babies will get infected and you will waste countless hours/monies on solving the issue" ... or whatever reason you think I shouldn't actually want to turn this off.

-Instructing me to perform an action which is impossible or not leading to a solution to my problem. (I know this sounds like it would be common sense, but you might be surprised...)

I apologize if I sound perturbed, but I am to a certain extent.
I do actually want help, but I only want help, not general advice. I get enough of that.
I have a moderate to advanced knowledge of computers, just stumped on this matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

You simply can't achieve what you want without a total uninstall.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 silclay

silclay

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:23 AM

I uninstalled AVG (probably badly) and AVGSRX still starts with startup
How the hell do I get it out of my comp

#4 Haider

Haider

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:47 AM

Hello Krashtak :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer.com

You may try uninstalling using http://forums.avg.com/gb-en/avg-free-forum...w&id=110317 tool from AVG Official Forums

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using Posted Image button

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

I do not wish to uninstall this software as this is a company laptop (that I have used personally and exclusively for over 13 months so it's pretty much "mine")

Then you should ask permission to remove the anti-virus they installed regardless whether it is used exclusively by yourself..

In most work environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. In fact, many companies will require you to read those policies and sign a statement of understanding. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use business resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. We will not assist with attempts to circumvent those policies or security measures.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

You know? Corporate entities using AVG? Really bad for folks. loyalty is not one of AVG's strengths, they develop sucky antivirus software, and any IT person, (professionals especially), should know the hardships experienced by users of AVG's offerings. I was one, and when I gained a better knowledge of security and malware, I quickly uninstalled it, had my friend show me the ins and outs of eset's NOD32, and now, I stay with Eset. I'd suggest that those it folks go back to computer 101, and learn where the true soldiers in the malware war stand.

here's my say,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users