Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

battery charging intermittant

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

acer aspire 5515, vista

i have an issue with the bat/charging after being unplugged and used. it's intermittant. i can unplug it in and the bat will last an hour and a half+-. so i'm fairly certain the bat is good.

the issue is that when i plug it in after being used unplugged, it doesnt always charge. the acer interface window always shows it as plugged in but not always charging. it doesnt apear to be erroneous info as it isnt charging and goes dead. i have to pull the bat while it's on and plugged in b4 it will charge. but other times it shows no issues and charges right up after being plugged in.

possible solutions?

ty

Edited by igonuts2, 08 September 2010 - 07:09 PM.

Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

acer aspire 5515, vista

i have an issue with the bat/charging after being unplugged and used. it's intermittant. i can unplug it in and the bat will last an hour and a half+-. so i'm fairly certain the bat is good.

the issue is that when i plug it in after being used unplugged, it doesnt always charge. the acer interface window always shows it as plugged in but not always charging. it doesnt apear to be erroneous info as it isnt charging and goes dead. i have to pull the bat while it's on and plugged in b4 it will charge. but other times it shows no issues and charges right up after being plugged in.

possible solutions?

ty

first thing i would look at is a lose jack ,where charger plugs in [try a little wiggle when its plugged in but not charging ],or the charger itself

Edited by caperjac, 10 September 2010 - 05:48 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

Also, when troubleshooting laptop power issues the first thing I do is make sure that all the following work:

1. Laptop works when plugged in, with battery installed.
2. Laptop works when plugged in, without battery installed.
3. Laptop works when not plugged in, with battery installed.

If any of those fail, it will isolate the issue.

Once you have verified that, then, as caperjac said, make sure there are no lose connections such as the plug from the wall to the power brick or the laptop power jack. If that all looks good try to get your hands on another power adapter or a universal one that works with your laptop and see what happens.

Your problem can be the power adapter, battery, or even the power regulation circuitry on the motherboard.

Good luck!

#4 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

thnx you two,

it does all three. the acer interface window also shows, correctly when it's plugged or not. i think i misled you both on this point, cause it this part is wrong - "the acer interface window always shows it as plugged in". not correct. it just doesnt aways charge. and it will report "not charging" or " charging" and will charge accordingly. which is why i didn't think it was a physical connection issue.

i don't communicate that well in type, sorry.

but i'll open her up and look for loose plugs. that part should be the same as the plug ins on my guitar amps and such. done that many times.

but i will get back in a day. i smashed two fingers putting a diff in the truck yesterday. so i'm on the dl for 2day at least......

Edited by igonuts2, 10 September 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#5 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

You should be able to tell if the power plug is lose without taking it apart.

But if the computer shows the correct info for when it is plugged in or not, and seems to correctly tell you when it is charging, it sounds like there may be a problem with the motherboard or battery. For some reason the battery just decides to not charge, and it reports that it is not charging.

The easiest way to test to see which it is would be to get another battery and see if it charges properly. If it does, then your existing battery is dead. If not, then the motherboard is bad.

#6 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

well the socket is not loose. but i assumed, like other things, that the connection of the socket on the inside could be compromised w/o being loose.

and a bat can be bad even if it charges and dischages normaly? k......

i have two aspires, but don't know squat 'bout bat compatability. the other is a 3100. i have googled compatability between the two and came up empty. not a y or n.

the 5515 uses a BATBL50L4, rated at 14.8v and 2000mAh with a charging current of 1.6A.

the 3100 uses a BATBL50L6, rated at 11.1v and 4400mAh/46Wh with no charging current listed.

physical fitment looks indentical, but the voltage rating alone suggests to me that they are not compatible. and i have resisted trying for that reason. wasn't concerned with over amperes as figure it would only draw what it needs.

so unless some one here knows, diffinitively, that they are compatible, i will have to wait till i can afford another appropriate bat for the laptop in question. all other suggestions have checked out w/ a pass grade.

ty again all.

Edited by igonuts2, 10 September 2010 - 05:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users