Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing will display

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lapchi92

lapchi92

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

Hello bleepingcomputer,
Earlier this morning, my computer did a hard freeze (couldn't ctrl alt del or shift ctrl esc out of it). I held down the power button to turn it off, and when I turned it back on, I heard the same beep sequence as when my video card decided to crap out (3 or 4 beeps). So, I took my GPU back to the store, exchanged it for a brand new one, plugged it in, started the computer, and no beeps occurred. All of my fans turned on, including the one on my new GPU, yet nothing displayed on my monitor. I tried my monitor with my laptop with the same VGA cable, and everything was fine. I have also unplugged everything from my PSU, and plugged it back in, to no avail.
My current setup:
EVGA nForce 650i Ultra
Zotac GT220
Intel e4400 @ 2GHz
Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 550w
1x 2gb Kingston ddr2 667
1x 1gb Crucial DDR2-667
2x 1gb Samsung DDR2-555

Usually, it would beep once and then start up without stuttering. Now, nothing will show on the monitor. Please give me any ideas, bleepingcomputer, I need your help!

Edited by lapchi92, 08 September 2010 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

Hi lapchi92, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Are you sure that the card is properly seated?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lapchi92

lapchi92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

Yes, I've removed and inserted the card several times. The fan works on the new one (didn't after the crash with the old one), and nothing's grinding or making ugly sounds.
I've tried removing the ram, but it makes 3 beeping sounds (1st long, 2nd very short, 3rd relatively short) and continues to keep power to the fans and whatnot.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:59 AM

I've tried removing the ram, but it makes 3 beeping sounds (1st long, 2nd very short, 3rd relatively short) and continues to keep power to the fans and whatnot.

Do you mean that you removed the RAM and then attempted to boot?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 lapchi92

lapchi92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:27 AM

I removed one of the 4 sticks, since it was a bit loose, then tried to boot when I got the beeps. I then took all 4 sticks out, and put them all snugly back in, only to have it boot the fans and HDD without any beeps or anything displaying.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:35 AM

Do you have another computer that you can try the card in. There's always the possibility that you got a bad one.

#7 lapchi92

lapchi92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:45 AM

Not at the moment, but I will see if I can run down to a friend's tomorrow.
I just, again, tried to re-arrange my 4 sticks of RAM. I tried to start it several times with the RAM in different slots, and the computer beeped 3 times (1st long, 2nd very short, 3rd short) again.
Thank you very much for your help so far, dc3. I will continue to post in this thread if there is still trouble tomorrow.

#8 lapchi92

lapchi92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:50 PM

Nope, the video card works fine on other setups. Guessing my motherboard is now screwed, but would there be another to way to test it?

Edited by lapchi92, 09 September 2010 - 05:50 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hello I am providing you with a pdf version of your motherboard manual.

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/122-CK-NF66.pdf

Upon boot up of my computer, I get no video signal to my monitor and get only a black/blank screen. How can I resolve this?

Answer below.

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/?f=57429

Also check out the TAGS at the bottom of the this page for black screen blank screen etc.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 lapchi92

lapchi92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

Thank you for that, Bruce.
Unfortunately, none of the listed solutions worked. I'm guessing I fried my PCIe slot from watching DragonBall Z (which is so system demanding LOL). A friend is lending me a motherboard he hasn't used in a while. I'll post again after I try my configuration on that.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:08 PM

Okay, sorry I wasn't much help.

I wish the best of luck to you with your configuration.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users