Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Threats & Countermeasures: Security Settings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smak451

smak451

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

Hey all -- I found this guide while doing research for my new Win 7 64x setup here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162275.aspx

The guide is called "Threats & Countermeasures: Security Settings in Windows Server 2003 & Windows XP" published in 2005. Looks like a pretty cool reference but I was wondering if there's an updated version anywhere or similar reference more applicable (or maybe a lot of the material is still material?). Any suggestions would be great, though this in itself seems worth a look. Thanks again, -- S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

Threats and Countermeasures - Security Settings in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 smak451

smak451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Awesome, thanks again! After my recent cyber victimization I can't seem to stop reading about this stuff -- I'm hooked (no rootkit pun intended).

Some people may find this site valuable, esp all of their reference material: http://www.sans.org/top-cyber-security-risks/

then there is this list of as-yet undisclosed vulnerabilities: http://www.zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/upcoming/

and finally this (also from SANS site): http://csis.org/files/publication/Twenty_C...Defense_CAG.pdf

reading about pass-the-hash attacks -- pretty scary stuff, at least to me. Cheers, -- S

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

You're welcome.

You may also want to read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected which explains the most common ways malware is contracted and spread.

#5 smak451

smak451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

You've got to be kidding me! Your expose is impressive and enough to give someone nightmares for months. I'm sending that link to everyone I know. This is an uphill battle to be sure. A website is compromised every 5 seconds! So even if you use something like NoScript and you whitelist your favorite sites, they still might be compromised?! At least you'll have some protection against clickjacks & XSS (I think).

Staying safe online seems a really tough problem; and I suspect that the average Joe -- millions upon millions -- aren't even aware of 1/20 of the dangers you've outlined (I was one of them 6 weeks ago). There should be some public service announcement to get folks to take a look at least!

I'm still designing my defense plan and it's been weeks of learning and I still feel confused after spending day and night on the topic (presently unemployed -- when it rains it sure does pour).

MBR rootkits seems like a nasty one -- maybe MBR guard can save me from that? From what I've gleaned it's harder to hook a 64 bit OS, though I've read of at least one rootkit designed for 64 bit systems recently. Geeze this really is tough nut to crack. Seems like online banking should be done off a Linux disk or in an LUA dedicated only to it, if at all.

Well it's certainly fascinating, as much as it all pis**s me off! Maybe I've found a new calling! My prediction is the term 'rootkit' will become more mainstream as time goes on. If you have any other sugestions as to how to think about constructing a defense plan all are welcome -- I know there's no one 'correct' solution, but hints/suggestions from the pros always help. Does something like disk encryption help for example? That's my latest research project. Thanks again. Oh yeah, if you have a link for bleepingcomputer or Unite donations I'm glad to help out; otherwise I'll go to Unite directly (though my means are modest right now!) Thanks again, Cheers -- S :thumbsup:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

You're welcome.

As far as donations...We appreciate your generous offer but as our other advertisements are able to offset the cost of the site, Bleeping Computer is no longer accepting site donations. The site is by no means a profit making venture, but it is at this point self sustaining. Since it is self sustaining the donation link was removed by the site owner. If you would like, please make a donation to your local Fire or Police department or a charity of your choice instead.

#7 smak451

smak451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

You got it. I'm a regular supporter of our local police dept. (maybe that sticker in the window will help with speeding tickets next time). I'll donate to Unite on behalf of you and MoLe who has also assisted me. Take Care & have a nice weekend. Cheers, -- S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users