Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't watch videos on internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob54

Rob54

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here and I have a relatively simple problem. (Or so it would seem.) I can't watch videos on the internet. (Youtube, CBS, Ect, Ect. Nada, Nothing. As with all of the dozen sites I have tried? The response is the same. Nothing!
Let's use youtube as an example.

I hit the site, I log in, I click on a video, it loads it and nothing. No control bar, No error messages, No nothing.
The same with the other sites. (Except one. Google) I actually found a clip that played perfectly. Go figure.

Before you all start guessing, Yes, I have installed the latest version of flash player. (Several times to make sure.)
I have, Cleaned out the temp file, defragged my drive. I have reinstalled IE8 I have installed Google chrome, Mozilla Firefox (which will not launch by the way. No messages, just won't. And I reinstalled it.) Deactivated the popups, firewall (Microsoft default) Downloaded the latest updates, Scanned for viruses, cleaned the registry, tried to update my graphic drivers, and have reconfigured everything that I could. I have followed every help file from every source (Youtube ect. They all say the same.) Nothing! I have been to other help sites, like this one and the few replies that some were kind enough to give,
did nothing but make it worse. Everybody's a God D**ned expert! (Except me!)

Here's the deal, I have six, thats right (6) Computers. Some I built for alot of money, one I had built for about 6 grand.
Thay were all "monsters" 10 yrs. ago. I had a video prod. business. I have always considered myself to have been at the forefront of the computer revolution. Not any more. In the last five yrs? I apparently have turned into a ret*rd!
Every system that I have owned has systematicially broken down. (Ex. Motherboards, drives, O/S ect. ect.)
I'm unemployed and running out of cash. I simply can't afford to rescue them. What I do have is an old dell, Model optiplex
GX 280. I have 512mb. My processor seems fine, Blah, blah, blah. I bought this P.O.S. from a neighbor cheap, who fancied himself a "self taught" computer guru. (You know the ones!) I have spent the last six months untangling the mess he left.
If I had a fresh O/S, I'd simply reformat and reinstall. I can not afford that. Otherwise I'd have fixed at least one of my real machines.

Like I said. I used to be quite good at this. If you don't do this everyday it's hard to keep up!
This? I am stumped. My intuition? It has everything with resetting players to NOT be the default. Media player, Quick time, Ect, ect. I have racked my brain trying to solve this.
I'm sure it's the kind of thing when I truly do get the right answer? I'll say DUH! Or, my O/S is just too corrupt to do this.

All I really wanted to do was watch videos on line. (You tube, Star trek, ect.) This piece of junk? After all that I have learned? is becomming my undoing!

(Bad enough I can't find a job.)

I'm seriously considering beating this machine to death with a large sledge hammer! It messed with the wrong man!

I hope somenone on this site has a better understanding than the other "experts" Who have just guessed trying to help.
I'm sure that somebody out there gets my frustration. My problem! (And I don't mean personal.) It really shouldn't be this hard.

I'm sure there are other things that I've tried that I'm not remembering at this moment. Just too frustrated.

Talk to me anyone! Please! Or....... the computer gets it! (LOL)

Rob/54

Thanking you in advance.

Edited by Rob54, 08 September 2010 - 06:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

What type of Internet connection?

512MB of RAM...allows for minimal system activity.

What settings do you have for Virtual memory?

How much space on C: partition?

Any error messages when trying to view?

Louis

#3 Rob54

Rob54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

Louis,
Thank's for replying. Please don't take this personally. This site HAS to be the most convoluded hardest site to navagate!
I'm sorry that I signed up. Thank's for being the only one to try to help anyhow. I truly do appreiciate it. I am however done with this stupid site. (Designed to help but it's impossible to find help?) Bleeping Computer? No! Bleeping web site!

To answer your question: I have the best cable digital connection available. (That's not it.)

I know my RAM ain't much! I can watch some videos on google. (That's not it.)

My settings for virtual memory? I honestly have NO idea what that means. (Knowing me, they are probably at the max.)

I get no error messages. AT all...... Nothing. Nada. It just does nothing.

Please forgive me for saying. The few who were kind enough to respond? On other sites? Did not help. Infact in a few cases? Only made it worse. (Not you of course, I'm just saying.) Thank's for helping. I DO appreciate it.

This site is Bullbleep! I will delete this from my favorites. I will not be back. Thank you anyhow Louis.

Godbless and take care.

Rob

#4 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:06 AM

Rob54 Take a look at THIS

Edited by rockmilk, 18 September 2010 - 02:07 AM.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:18 AM

hahahahahahaha.

Yea he got a response in less than an hour and the site is laid out in a simple outline but whatever, good riddance.

This thread should get deleted or locked anyway

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:13 AM

The suggestion to lock/close this thread seems a good one at this point...consider it done :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users