Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Temporarily Hangs Frequently

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NoHarleys

NoHarleys

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

About a month ago my computer would stop responding when browsing the web. I would get the loading circle and if I clicked anywhere, it would say the program is not responding. Usually about a minute later it would start working fine. I normally don't have any more problems after that but sometimes the problem comes back. This seems to be quite common but haven't read of a fix that works for me. I should note that the mouse still works fine during all of this. I can normally even start to use a different program before it freezes up too. But then that program will stop responding. Then magically it will all be good. I have tried disabling Avast, CrashPlan and a few other programs I thought may be causing the issue with no luck. Even tried doing a restore to a few weeks before the problem started but that didn't help either.

Anyone have a suggestion to what could be causing this?

Gateway DX4831
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

I don't think anyone knows what causes this or if there is a real solution. I've encountered this condition and jumped through every hoop and diagnostic procedure that Microsoft Answers Forum could throw at me with no relief. I gave up on IE8 and now use Google Chrome. As far as the rest of the 'stopped responding' problems, I just endured them and eventually they just seem to go away or fix themselves. I've done fresh installs and things would be fine for a few weeks. Then the 'not responding' errors returned for about a week and then suddenly stopped. Many people have this problem at MSFT Answers Forum and I haven't found a single thread with a solution to it. I just had to learn to put up with it for a while before it fixes itself.

#3 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Maintaining ur computer really helps the problem though

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

Do you run Aero mode? If so, maybe it is to ram intense for you. Try turning it off and see if that helps.

edit: google says you have 6gb ram so I am guessing that ain't it. Take a look in event viewer at the time of the problems and see if there are any errors.

Edited by thrillhouse, 08 September 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#5 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:07 AM

I highly doubt its a problem with Aero.

Its a general issue with IE specially if there are a lot of BHOs installed.

My advise is to use Chrome or anothe browser. At home when I use IE it often hangs. That is the reason why I am now using Chrome.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

I don't use I.E. much but I.E. is used by more than any other browser. Starting with some basics. Remove all the add ons in I.E. run it clean and mean. Many time those little nice things that are added will cause problems. I would recommend using Malwarebytes Anti Malware free and Super Anti Spyware free and of course a complete scan with your anti virus. After downloading MAM and SAS update them before scanning.

Edited by Layback Bear, 09 September 2010 - 07:55 AM.

#7 NoHarleys

NoHarleys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

Actually I am a FF user so not sure if IE/Chrome would help or hurt the issue. I should note that browsing the web doesn't isn't what always causes it. It is just what I do most on the computer so that is what I normally am doing when it happens. Sometimes it happens when reading my mail in Thunderbird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users