Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trigg

Trigg

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

I'm working on a desktop that I can't get to connect to the internet. A wireless connection is preferred, however it is having the same issue when hardwired to the router.

When connected using the wireless adapter, it detects several wireless networks in range. I am able to connect to my wireless network with very good signal strength. I can successfully ping google & yahoo. When I open IE, i get the "cannot display web page" message...same thing with firefox. I've checked the connection settings in internet options and made sure "Automatically detect settings" is checked. I've gone to services.msc and made sure that DHCP and TCP/IP have started and are running. I've checked the wireless security settings several times. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter and driver. I've tried resetting the winsock.

I've tried using the original wireless adapter (Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO) as well as an extra adapter (Linksys WUSB54GSC). I've also tried connecting to 2 different networks with the same results...connection successful but can not display web page. There are currently 3 other computers connected to the network at this location, none of which have any trouble viewing a website.

Any ideas?

Edited by Trigg, 08 September 2010 - 03:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:21 PM

When "ping" command works, but browsers don't, my very first suspect is some infection.

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Trigg

Trigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

thank you for your respnonse...I did not think about malware causing this. It's working now.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

What did you do, if I may?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users