Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp will not start up properly

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

I can't logged onto my operating system windows xp. Not even in any of the safe mode formats. This problem occured abrutely when I rebooted my computer recently. I tried removing the hard drive and I tried rebooting my compuiter a couple of time. It would show me a cyclic pattern of taking me to the standard windows xp screen, then transitioning me to a blue screen and back to the IBM thinkpad screen again . The blue screen would not remain up there permanently to give me enough time to find out whats wrong. My Ibm think pad was working perfectly fine and I just bought a brand new harddrive. I had software problems in the past but no hardware problems, not to my knowledge. I did not reboot my computer in the standard mode because sometimes it would take too long to shut dowt and I would unhook my battery and battery outlet. What do you think is wrong with my computer and what do you suggest I do to find a solution. I pressed F1 on my keys and it took me to the IBM BIOS SEtup utility menu and I am not sure what options I should implement in the menu to resolved this issue.

Here is a part of the error message that appears: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully" error, unmountable boot volume" I wouild type all of it but like I said at the beginning , the blue screen appears and disappears in a short amount of time. I am SERIOUSLY freaking out here because My computer was working fine an HOUR ago and I don't know WHY it won't work now. I did boot it up improperly, but thats because my computer was running really slow at the time because I had so many programs opened at once.

Edited by Mrs Pinnacle, 08 September 2010 - 01:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

What model Thinkpad is the system?

Louis

#3 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

What model Thinkpad is the system?

Louis

IBM thinkpad model R51 copyright 2005.

#4 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

I know that I cannot restart my computer becauise of this message "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME ". Will I be able to recover everything on my harddrive or fix my harddrive if I implement a solution to eliminate this problem? Is UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME a software virus.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

Unmountable boot volume errors...are often overcome simply by running the chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Depends on what sparked the error...could be something more drastic that cannot be overcome by chkdsk /r.

I'd try the chkdsk /r command first.

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Louis

Possibly useful, Support Link

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2010 - 03:55 PM.

#6 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

Unmountable boot volume errors...are often overcome simply by running the chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Depends on what sparked the error...could be something more drastic that cannot be overcome by chkdsk /r.

I'd try the chkdsk /r command first.

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Louis

Possibly useful, Support Link

What typically sparks unmountable boot volume errors? I was on my computer and it look like it was running normally and when I rebooted it , the unmountable boot volume error appeared out of nowhere. Is it it some kind of virus? Does it always run in a cyclic pattern where it shows the standard windows xp screen, then the so called blue screen of death containing the unmountable boot volume error , then the display screen for your computer?

#7 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

Typically , what are my chances of recovering all of my data on my harddrive thats been affected by the Unmountable boot error message?

Edited by Mrs Pinnacle, 08 September 2010 - 08:09 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

You need to run the chkdsk /r command...to find out how bad the error is.

I only have a small sample, my own systems over the years...but it's worked for me every time.

Louis

#9 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

You need to run the chkdsk /r command...to find out how bad the error is.

I only have a small sample, my own systems over the years...but it's worked for me every time.

Louis

YOu know what on average the main causes of unmountable system errors are? In your own case, did your harddrive unpredictably crash like mine did or did you see the crash coming?

Edited by Mrs Pinnacle, 08 September 2010 - 08:21 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Hamluis posted a link that explains the error about as well as it will be explained. It has been suggested that you run the chkdsk /r, you should do that and then see what the results are.

Go to Start, click on Run, and type cmd in the box and then click OK.

A black page will open with a blinking cursor, type in chkdsk /r and then press the enter key.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

If Mrs Pinnacle can't boot into windows then Mrs Pinnacle will have to use the windows operating system disk to boot into windows setup and then use the recovery console to to run chkdsk /p /r

And as far as the data recovery, as long as you don't format the hard drive your data should be fine. another thing is getting it back if the chkdsk does not work.

Let me know if you need more directions on how to use the recovery console.

#12 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

If Mrs Pinnacle can't boot into windows then Mrs Pinnacle will have to use the windows operating system disk to boot into windows setup and then use the recovery console to to run chkdsk /p /r

And as far as the data recovery, as long as you don't format the hard drive your data should be fine. another thing is getting it back if the chkdsk does not work.

Let me know if you need more directions on how to use the recovery console.

I don't have a windows xp installation CD. Is it possible to download the software for the windows xp installation cd and then burn it on a disc?

#13 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

If your computer is still under warranty you should be able to get one from customer support

#14 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

If your computer is still under warranty you should be able to get one from customer support

Its not underwarranty. I bought my laptop online and it is refurbished. Am I able to obtain the windows xp installation disc by downloading software for the windows xp installation disc and burning it on a cd?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

No. But you can call the manufacturer and see if they will provide you with an installation CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users