Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Funnies & Press Sensationalism

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:19 PM

So I am reading about the riots in France with some satisfaction to see minorities standing up for themselves, feeling a tad smug because of the problems facing their government (I am a smug, narrowminded US citizen after all). As I am reading, I see another headline from Newsweek:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9938406/site/newsweek/

Newsweek: Growing jihad?

I just dig how they throw the term Jihad around... thios entire thing was started by two teenagers of African descent being electrocuted because they hid in an electrical transformer yard.. I don't mean to sound harsh, but DUH! That is only marginally safer than trying to hide in the middle of the autobahn during rush hour traffic...

But I digress.. Newsweek is trying to infer that the Muslim holy war is spreading from Iraq into France. The connotation of Jihad, at this time, is the Muslim response to the Allied occupation of Iraq, and attempting to draw some sort of a parallel is just sensationalism.

Anyway, so what do you all think of the rioting? Personally, I have flashbacks to the riots in the 60's that often were violent, but brought about many good changes. Do the ends justify the means? Sometimes, IMHO.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:43 PM

900 cars and 50 deaths??

well the gov't is in a tight spot now. French Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy has said: "During the first weekend of violence, he denounced the gangs burning cars as "scum" and vowed he'd impose order." (from the website posted above).

Peace over hate, brother.. peace... now that he has declaired war over these rioters, I feel the point of the violence is already lost.

It will dimm down, it always does.. I hope the Gov't gets the point though.

#3 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:58 PM

...Newsweek is trying to infer that the Muslim holy war is spreading from Iraq into France. The connotation of Jihad, at this time, is the Muslim response to the Allied occupation of Iraq, and attempting to draw some sort of a parallel is just sensationalism.

Mais Oui. But of course. Holy war is spreading to France. After all, what right do the French have to occupy France :thumbsup:

I believe everything I read, since I'm a stupid American. Especially if it has been blessed by Bill Gates - The M$ in MSnbc.

Newsweek has always provided me with such entertaining bedtime stories that I managed to wet my pants with laughter before going to bed. They are so imaginative. I especially love their unbiased(sorry, I wet my pants with laughter again) reporting.

Edited by BanditFlyer, 08 November 2005 - 12:01 AM.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:54 AM

Am I the only one to apprieciate the irony in all of this? :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Scarlett, 08 November 2005 - 12:05 PM.

Posted Image

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:30 PM

Gotta love Irony! :trumpet:

I have mix feelings about all this in France. :inlove:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:16 AM

Gotta love Irony! :trumpet:

I have mix feelings about all this in France. :inlove:

I think the French should just surrender quick before it turns into a war and some body will have to bail them out again. :cool:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users