Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Machine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joshq68

joshq68

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:53 AM

I have an older laptop Compaq, with xp, less then 1 gig of ram and an AMD processor with about 800 mhz. I am wondering if installing a virtual machine and a version of (insert OS) will make my computer usable again. i just use it for web browsing and streaming music.
let me know if anyone has done this or if i am completely off the wall of what a virtual machine is even for.
thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

I believe we can safely say that you are completely off the wall here :D

Having a virtual machine running on your computer means that you are, essentially, running two computers with the resources of one: two operating systems and their subordinate applications vying for RAM, CPU cycles, network access, etc. 1 Gig of RAM and a CPU running at 800MHz would make such an experience painful.

Perhaps if you explained in more detail what your goal is, we can figure out a way for you to reach it.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

A virtual machine runs within a "parent" OS, so you still have some, if not much more, overhead as the resources of a computer is being used to power two operating systems. You could replace the operating system with one that is less demanding on the hardware, though.

3939.png

#4 joshq68

joshq68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

I believe we can safely say that you are completely off the wall here :D

Having a virtual machine running on your computer means that you are, essentially, running two computers with the resources of one: two operating systems and their subordinate applications vying for RAM, CPU cycles, network access, etc. 1 Gig of RAM and a CPU running at 800MHz would make such an experience painful.

Perhaps if you explained in more detail what your goal is, we can figure out a way for you to reach it.

Thanks Andrew,
I guess i didn't understand completely what a virtual machine was/is.
My overall goal with the laptop is to make it run as a speedy web machine, or as fast as it can run. As I said in my post i use it primarily for web browsing and streaming/downloading music. Perhaps I could install a completely different single OS such as ubuntu? I haven't really used any other OS besides windows. Also I would preferably like to still use Itunes on it. I am completely open to suggestions.
thanks again.

Edited by joshq68, 09 September 2010 - 07:38 AM.

#5 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

If all you're going to do is browse the web and play music, definitely go Linux.

There is no iTunes (even with WINE, but don't quote me on it), but plenty of alternatives.

If you are going to be syncing your iPod, see this article: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod

It only works for non-touch screen iDevices (no iPod Touches, any gen, no iPhones, any gen).

There are ways to sync one of the above iDevices, but its a little difficult.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

I'm not an iDevice user so I've never had to worry about getting iTunes to work under Wine. I hear that Amarok can talk to iDevices, though (plus Amarok is a kickass music player in its own right.)

I would recommend Xubuntu as an ideal webtop OS. It's a variant of Ubuntu which uses the lighter-weight XFCE graphical environment. XFCE is designed to be an efficient and lightweight environment while still looking good and having style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users