Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitors, Thinkpad T60, W7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 superfoozer

superfoozer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

Hello everyone or anyone!
I have a thinkpad t60 running w7 pro. I am trying to extend the display to another, external, monitor. Through control panel, the OS detects the Viewsonic VA703b monitor, but the monitor shows no signal.
I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the t60, I have tried the external monitor port on the laptop as well as the one on the docking station and have tried all configurations through the software. Nothing seems to be giving me a screen on the viewsonic. The viewsonic works, I had it plugged into another pc here at work. I unplugged it and tried it on my laptop and got nothing.
Anyone have any other ideas why this isn't working?
Is there any other infomation needed?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richie Moore

Richie Moore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

Does the laptop have a quick access button for switching the video output?
They usually do and it's a 2nd Function key that switches between laptop, external, or both.

#3 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

On this model, it's the F7 key and that also gives no output to the monitor...argggg!!!!!

#4 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

On this model, it's the F7 key and that also gives no output to the monitor...argggg!!!!!

There might be a setting in the BIOS which allows for EXTERNAL+LCD for monitor output.

I know the FN+F7 key may need to be pressed multiple times to cycle through the different modes.

LCD, EXTERNAL, EXTERNAL+LCD.

I'll check my T61 here in a little bit and update my post if I find the section in the bios for it.

#5 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

And this brings up something else I found out:
When I try to get into the bios, it asks for my fingerprint, which I have never put in it. I skipped that and it asks for a pw which I don't have! This laptop belonged to the person who worked where I do before me, so not really sure what he did before/when he left.
Is there a generic pw that may work?

#6 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:26 PM

And this brings up something else I found out:
When I try to get into the bios, it asks for my fingerprint, which I have never put in it. I skipped that and it asks for a pw which I don't have! This laptop belonged to the person who worked where I do before me, so not really sure what he did before/when he left.
Is there a generic pw that may work?

That means the person who had the laptop before you setup the computer to have biometric scanning to access the bios / and they set a password as a backup as well.

Sadly, there aren't any generic passwords that will work, only the one that the person before you set. So, that only leaves you with a few options.

1) Obtain the password from that individual or the IT department of your company and see if they have any records of that information (if applicable).
2) Attempt to access the system recovery using the ThinkVantage button and see if you can reset the password from there using their password recovery utility (WARNING: Be careful when navigating this menu, as you don't want to do a system restore.)
3) Find the BIOS reset jumper by taking the computer a part (not recommended since this is a company laptop, best to get permission and/or have your IT department do it if you have one).

Once you have gained access to the BIOS, the setting should be under: Config > Display > then locate where it says Thinkpad LCD, and change that to be VGA+LCD.

#7 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

I will look into those things, thanks!
I did talk to the IT supervisor and he said it used to be set up with an external monitor but that it stopped working one day and they were never able to get it working again. Also, the back of the laptop case is cracked in a couple spots, like it's been dropped or something. Not sure if that has any effect on it though!
Thanks again for the information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users