Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyboy21

jonnyboy21

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

Hello,

I having a few problems Id like help with please.

Firstly, I'm told I have corrupt installs which are leading to random Windows Installer popups. THey are really annoying, please tell me how to get rid of them.

Secondly, in personalization control panel under theme the dropdown menu is corrupt. I get modified theme, my current theme and windows classic only (no aero etc).

Finally, my processor seems to be CONSTANTLY working hard. Actually, it seems to be very loud (as if in a virus scan or something intensive) when I am doing NOTHING (i.e AFK) after 5 or so minutes. When I return and start using, it calms down. Very strange but any ideas on that?

Many thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

Firstly. What are the messages you are recieving in the pop ups?

Secondly. If you are using Windows classic, this will show up as a modified theme in the drop down menu. Can you choose any other options or are you saying nothing else appears in the drop down menu, or it is greyed out?

Thirdly. You may have system idle process or windows indexing running when you are idle.

If you want to investigate processes running try this program below.

Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 jonnyboy21

jonnyboy21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

It comes up with a Windows Installer popup as if a program is beginning to install. Kahdah in the malware removal section told me this was due to corrupt installs.

Secondly, I have no other options in the dropdown menu other than the ones mentioned. I am currently on Aero, although it randomly switches sometimes. I can provide screenshot of dropdown menu, if necessary.

How do I turn off system idle process/windows indexing?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

For indexing options go to CONTROL PANEL

Look for INDEXING OPTIONS in control panel and click it to open the indexing options window.

Turn off the indexing option.

You can also find it in componet services and disable it.

As for system idle process, I have to admit, this one I have not played with on my computer, so I am not sure what the out come would be if it was disabled or stopped.

Perhaps someone else could offer some input on stopping system idle process from running.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 jonnyboy21

jonnyboy21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

Ok,

And what about the problems with the theme dropdown menu and windows installer popups?

Thanks

#6 jonnyboy21

jonnyboy21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

Mrbruce?

Also, one other thing. I have rundll32 windows host process has stopped working errors each time i restart the computer. THey are not infection related. Please help.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users