Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP doesn't start! stuck at a black screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 3m4

3m4

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:25 AM

Hi guys, i need help immediately, if you can. i summarize here what's happened: yesterday my computer got infected by a fake antivirus, avira has been closed and internet explorer didn't connect any more, so i used Combofix but when the pc restarted windows gave me the error: isapnp.sys missing or damaged. i extracted this file form XP cd and put it in the right place and now the error is gone but there-s only a blackscreen after the bios and bootloader. same for the safe mode, it loads some files and then gets stuck and black. tried a lot of things: :thumbsup: fixboot,fixmbr,system restore offline, repaired windows installation, tried to restore manually the registry, chkdsk /r, tried to see if there were 0 kb files in system32/drivers,but there weren't(on the web some people solved deleting fake .sys drivers(
with puppylinux live cd i can see everything and access the files, so i don-t think it-s hardware related problem.

i don-t now what to do more, could it be a strong virus in mbr? but with fixmbr it should have been fixed, shouldn-t it?
please help, give me hints, i don-t want to backup everything and format :flowers:

EDIT: i'll post in security zone, please delete this! sorry

Edited by 3m4, 08 September 2010 - 08:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

How did you try to repair the MBR?

Did you us the installation CD to use the Recovery Console?

Regarding Combofix.

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Edited by dc3, 08 September 2010 - 09:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 3m4

3m4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:36 AM

yes, to repair the MBR i did fixmbr from the recovery console on windows xp cd. it says that the operation is gone successfully (can-t remember the exact words)

i have used combofix before and it gave me no problems. now i know it could have messed up my system...
however i have no combofix log in C, i think it didn-t finish its work

PS> should i move this discussion somewhere else?

please, i-ve seen many experts here that helped a lot of people with similar problems, hope there is a chance also for me

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

If combofix has damaged any files this would be the appropriate forum for this topic.

If there are damaged files you could do a repair installation if you have the installation CD for the operating system. This will not cause a loss of data or applications.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 3m4

3m4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

i-ve already done a repair installation without success as you can see... but what does it mean that it will continue after reboot? should i keep the cd rom inside?

tx for your interest

#6 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

Does the windows boot menu come up. were you select windows xp or recovery console or does it black screen before that?

#7 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

Sorry missed it.

Anyway have you tried boofcfg /rebuild from the recovery console?

#8 3m4

3m4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:36 AM

the bios comes up, loads as always,then there's the selection of the os that lasts for 3 sec ( i decided to leave a delay so if i have problems i can hit f8 easily), then the os is selected automatically and black screen. Now that i've done 2 repair installation the boot.ini has been replaced and i don't seee the screen of choice of os anymore, as the boot.ini options have been replaced.

I've also tried bootcfg /rebuild and nothing changed

#9 3m4

3m4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:58 AM

now i know it's not hardware related: if i plug in the harddisk in another desktop computer after bios and selection of os, the screen goes black again also in safe mode. I'm wondering if it's some service corrupt/deleted/infected and not repaired by windows. Can it be the video card driver? But i don't even see the loading bar so it shouldn't. After selection of os it loads something (i see the cpu going on) and after 2 sec or less it stops,
Any clues?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

If this is an IDE hdd and you have not connected it as a slave drive you may have damaged the operating system by installing it with another motherboard. Each chipset of the motherboard uses different plug and play identities to be recognized which the operating system recognizes in turn. When the operating system see these different identities it gets confused and may not be able to boot. Some times when this happens you can do a repair installation to repair the damage, some times you will need to do a reformat and fresh installation.

#11 3m4

3m4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

i've connected it one time to see if the problem was with the hardware, but it's not so. I did this in the afternoon disconnected the main hd of the second pc and connected the "corrupted� hd. I think nothing has happened, the original problem is still there,i want to solve THAT problem

Edit: i've also run mbr.exe (using hiren's boot cd) and it detects windows xp mbr,it doesn't find any external/viral code, so i think there is no mbr problem.

Edited by 3m4, 09 September 2010 - 12:30 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

To the point... is this an IDE connection?

#13 3m4

3m4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:46 AM

yes,i think so, it's a six years old computer. However i think that it is not a hardware fault because with my old tower pc, different bios, different hw, the situation gets exactly the same. I've also tried to remove the recent hotfixes with an uitlity from boot cd (erdnt 5 or something like this). Do you think it could be possible to replace the entire system32 folder taking it from a sane computer? I'll replace the registry with the one in windows/repair. Just to see what happens, if, at least, it loads the windows bar, and then start to replace and add from the former folder. Crazy idea?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Try doing a repair installation. If this doesn't correct this, then you will need to format the hdd and reinstall the operating system.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users